Winding own foil inductors? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2003, 08:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to tpenguin Send a message via AIM to tpenguin Send a message via Yahoo to tpenguin
Default Winding own foil inductors?

I'd like to use 12 ga. copper foil inductors in my crossovers, but the prices for high-quality, high-inductance coils is a bit high. I know a lot of people wind they're own wire coils, but I couldn't find any mention of foil coils, even after a thourough search. Is this because the copper foil is difficult to find? Or are they just particularly difficult to make? Would you calculate the dimensions/turns the same way as with wire? Also, I can't find heavy guage magnet wire no matter where I look. It seems like I should just be able to drive down to the nearest radio shack and pick up a big spool of 12-8 AWG magnet wire without any trouble, but they don't have anything remotely approaching that. If you could provide me links to places where I could purchase some 12-8 ga. copper foil or magnet wire, I'd appreciate the help. If you know of a place in the northern Atlanta suburbs where I could get it, even better.
Old 25th December 2003, 11:24 AM   #2
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

Go to an auto shop that does alternator re-builds, they'll have large gauge magnet wire.
Old 25th December 2003, 12:05 PM   #3
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If i were in your shoes (wich i may be sometime), id get a meter, a roll of Cu foil and a roll of the thinnest mylar you can get your hands on....and do the trial and error. Its very hard to calculate since the isolation is a major player in that piece of math.

Both Cu foil and mylar foil is available through the syndicate(farnell, RS components, etc.), for little money compared to buying the foil inductors.

Magura

Hide this!Advertise here!