JBL 2445J + beryllium diaphragms - feedback?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not heard the 2445J with the Be diaphram but I have heard the 2446. I would say it is a solid upgrade.
The 2446 has an "upgrade" to the phasing plug design over the 2445, but still uses a titanium diaphragm.

I have not heard a 2445 with a beryllium diaphragm, but I doubt that pushing the breakup modes slightly higher would eliminate the hashy upper end that the driver has above 5000 Hz.

If you are looking at JBL cores you might want to consider a 1.5 or 2" with their latest phase plug design. You also should consider what horn's/waveguides you like vs. the throat size. The newer drivers all use the same phase plug only difference being the throat size.

Rob:)

The 2446 has an "upgrade" to the phasing plug design over the 2445, but still uses a titanium diaphragm.

I have not heard a 2445 with a beryllium diaphragm, but I doubt that pushing the breakup modes slightly higher would eliminate the hashy upper end that the driver has above 5000 Hz.

thats what i was looking to hear. is this the regarded opinion of the 2445?

thats what i was looking to hear. is this the regarded opinion of the 2445?
I used a lot of them in floor monitors (500 Hz up) and PA (1200-5000 Hz) from around 1982 until 1992.

They could be equalized to have flat response up to 16 kHz, but the HF response was quite distorted, put in a 6 kHz tone, and get out a 6 and 12kHz tone near the same level.

That is what I meant by "hashy", "esses" and cymbals just don't sound right.
Crossed at 5 kHz with a tweeter above, no problem.

The later 4" diaphragm JBL drivers seem cleaner, but for going all the way up without a tweeter, I prefer 3" (or smaller) diaphragms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.