Plans for a medium sized tower speaker - $ 500-700 budget - huge room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Usually those kind of projects don't go very far (with limited kind of budget). (NPI)
That's the price for two good drivers with similarly good sensitivity.
Usually a lot coming from open baffle projects and Full Range - diyAudio
Deserving mentioning the site for Troels HES High Efficiency Speakers
Nothing else coming to my mind right now besides the usual HE Econowave, I'm not sure if because of the constraints or "$" or both.
I would just do this (plus sub if really needed) and go on with life, or, do a complete diy project with better drivers/budget... that will take 1+ year or more. I guess you will end up with more spare drivers in your garage. Note, look at the brontosaurus in the end of the Troels page.

OK guys, thanks for the additional responses and my apologies for abandoning this thread.

I have had a slight change of plans. We're now putting a HT on our lower level. I will probably go with the SEOS speakers for that.

As a stop gap I bought a pair of Mirage OMD-28 off of Woot for $1905 shipped. They are really nice looking speaker and not much larger than what I have now. The rosewood veneer should look good, but I wish I could have snagged the Birdseye maple.

If I really like the SEOS's I can sell off the 28's and build a pair for the great room.

The 28's are pretty low efficiency at 87db/w/m, so plans for a tube amp probably won't work out. They do, at least, play pretty low with an f3 of 28hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.