Scanspeak Revelator 32W/4878T00 13" Bass Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone here heard of or had experience with this driver? looks like an absolute beast!

I was working on a 3-way build and trying to decide between two of peerless XXLS 12" alu cones or two 26W revelators, but this could be an option as a single driver option...

What do you guys think?

About the Scanspeak Revelator 32W/4878T00 13" Bass Driver

I am pretty sure that this is a fantastic sub-unit. It came out quite favorably in Voice Coil magazine. Here it was also suggested that it might have usage at higher frequencies than what is typical for a sub. IMO, this is a very attractive feature for a driver with those specs. However, at this price level, there are a lot of options.

Have a nice week-end

I couldn't find the voice coil article, did they say what kind of frequency you could take it to? If I can cross in the 200Hz region it would become incredibly tempting... of course if it goes to 400Hz it would be a no brainer... apart from the price!

That said, with the peerless xls/xxls both being on ebay for cheap, and the fact I have a pair of sub amplifiers from some monitor audio FB212's, I'm thinking maybe an augmented 2-way with active subs is a better option, I just fear that maybe my current 'drivers on hand' would be too good for them (no secret that I'm sitting on a set of scan speak revelators/tweeter)

The 32W has barely more throw than an XLS/XXLS/Scan Disco and not much more cone area, either. The only way I could see this driver being a better choice than any of the above three (all of which are riffs on the same platform) is if one intends to use it with a crossover higher than 250Hz or so. A twin XLS/XXLS/Disco would make more clean bass than a single Scan 32W.

Moreover, the Scan 32W costs Aurasound NS12-794-4A money. The 32W is more efficient than the NS12 but has less throw; usable bandwidth is close enough to equal, with perhaps a slight advantage to the NS12.

I have both 32W4878 and the smaller 26w4867 (same design as the xxls and so)

I had the 26w4867 on infinite baffle in active config from 35-300hz and used a 18" filler sub from 35hz down. (amp then was a 800W holton precision kit)
Was great but kept wondering about the 32W sandwich cone and potential sq upgrade.
Eventually, I saved the required funds and did order them.

I put them on the same spot the 26w used to be. (same system, same everything)
WOW!
not in the same league, not close, significantly better.

I still use my 26w on my 2nd system in a 70pounds bass reflex (55L, 2" thick wall and a tuning of 25hz)
in a 2nd system, the 26W are great but nowhere close to what the 32W did in my main mancave...

Eat beans for few week and buy the 32W, you won't regret it.
Or maybe the new SBA 15" that use a simiar sandwich cone that seem as good. (and squeeze a bit more spl)
15" SB42FHCL75-6 :: SB Acoustics

Later

I'm a bit confused, did you use the 26 aluminium Rev as the number indicates or did you use the "XXLS" type driver?

I used the 26W revelator with an aluminum cone.
the 32W is a sandwich cone.

I think that the revelator 10", the perless xls 10" and the SBA SB29SWNRX-S75-6 are fairly similar in term of quality.

10'' SB29SWNRX-S75-6 :: SB Acoustics
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...ator-26w/8867t-10-woofer-black-aluminum-cone/
Peerless by Tymphany 830452 10" XLS Subwoofer

The Scan-Speak 32W/4878T00 is superb in every way. You're paying for quality and sophistication. After 15+ years, one doesn't complain about how much something cost because something like this pays for itself.

I had a stereo pair TC Sounds Epic 12" subs in two 1.9 cft enclosures. One of the Epic 12" drivers failed with only light use. So, I had to replace both Epics because they're out of production or stock. As a drop-in replacement, I bought (2) 32W/4878T00 drivers. I've never looked back! The Scan-Speaks are so much better in every way - visceral impact, extension, efficiency, distortion, noise, reliability, and quality. I use it for music to accompany my Geers eVe II and a custom "Andromeda III," designed by the venerable Tony Gee.

Hi,

Using this thread as I'm on a project for 3 ways speakers. I'm not going to built it myself (a friend of mine will do it), but I'd just need some advices about the association, is it consistent as selected ?

Tweeter = Scan Speak D3004/662000
Mid = Scan Speak 18M/4631T00 or 12MU/4731T00 (?)
Low = Scan Speak 32W/4878T00 or 26W/4867T00 (?)

Crossover Low/Mid = 200Hz
Crossover Mid/High = 1500-2000 Hz

Sealed box for the woofer + separate box for mid/High (or open bafle like a Dahlquist)

Choice according to similar sensitivity around 90 db (hard to get in 8 Ohms).
Is it better to use the 12MU with the 26W or it could fit to the 32W also?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Using this thread as I'm on a project for 3 ways speakers. I'm not going to built it myself (a friend of mine will do it), but I'd just need some advices about the association, is it consistent as selected ?

Tweeter = Scan Speak D3004/662000
Mid = Scan Speak 18M/4631T00 or 12MU/4731T00 (?)
Low = Scan Speak 32W/4878T00 or 26W/4867T00 (?)

Crossover Low/Mid = 200Hz
Crossover Mid/High = 1500-2000 Hz

Sealed box for the woofer + separate box for mid/High (or open bafle like a Dahlquist)

Choice according to similar sensitivity around 90 db (hard to get in 8 Ohms).
Is it better to use the 12MU with the 26W or it could fit to the 32W also?

Thanks in advance :)
With a large membrane area such as the 32W, you're better off using the 18M to create a better transition from bass to mid than the 12MU. The 12MU might be better suited for a 22W driver.
Here's a photo of my Scan-Speak "1371." Very similar to your project, it's a 3-way using a Visaton TIW-300 and 18WU mid and 66000 tweeter and it has become my reference speaker. I used a Visiton, simply because I had it, and it's very punchy. Crossover points are 170Hz/2.1kHz, passive, 2nd-order series-fed mid tweeter, and 2nd order parallel woofer. Large mid cap is Superior Z-Cap, and the tweeter caps are Mundorf Silver Oil + Audyn Reference, with Duelund 0.01uF Ag and Vishay MKP1837 Bypass caps.

Also in the photo is also my Scan-Speak Classic "871" 2.5-way using 21W/8555, 18W/8545, and 98000 drivers. It has a series-fed crossover as well, using Mundorf Supremes Caps with Vishay MKP1837 Bypass Caps.

Attachments

• 2018-02-14 22.59.55.jpg
    2018-02-14 22.59.55.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 999
  • 2018-02-12 21.22.33.jpg
    2018-02-12 21.22.33.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 991
Hello 88man,

Thanks a lot for your answer. Really nice speaker and great job !
I saved the picture of your crossover, I may use it to built mine, if you don't mind.

I've had a glance to the Visatron, much cheaper, it deserves some thinking and invest more in the filter.

Initially I wanted two 10" units instead of a 12", but couldn't find something to my taste with a low VAS. I previously had a pair of Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage and the bass was incredibly strong and fast. Never been able to know which drivers Sonus used for these speakers. The mid and tweeter are Scan Speak for sure.

Just a question more, If I use the mid and tweeter in a separate open bafle, is there something specific to check on the drivers ?

Have a nice day.

Anyone used this "sub" as a woofer in a vented enclosure

I'm also looking for an excellent woofer for a 3 way, and was slightly intimidated by the closed box leaning numbers and fact they call it a sub. I know that's just a name, but often divers are optimized for an application.

I'm going to start my project :)

A last question before ordering,

Config : 1 expensive

Tweeter Scan speak D3004/66200
Mid Scan speak 18M/8631
Sub Scan speak 32W/8878 (Closed enclosure 113 liters Qtc = 0.577)

Config : 2 cheaper , bus as good as ?

Tweeter Scan speak D3004/66200
Mid Scan speak 18W/8542
Sub Scan speak 2x26W/4558 (Closed enclosure 77 liters Qtc = 0.577)

Crossover at 200 HZ and 1500 Hz

:confused:

Last edited:
Your bigger problem than what bass driver(s) to use is the midrange coloration from incompatibly sized midrange and tweeter. If you want to use that tweeter then look at a midrange like the ScanSpeak 10F. If you want to use that midrange, look at waveguide-loaded tweeters.

Your bigger problem than what bass driver(s) to use is the midrange coloration from incompatibly sized midrange and tweeter. If you want to use that tweeter then look at a midrange like the ScanSpeak 10F. If you want to use that midrange, look at waveguide-loaded tweeters.

You mean the size of the mid is too big to fit the tweeter ? So a 12 or 15 cm should be enough to have a crossover above 2000 Hz. Could be a 12MU for the 26 woofer (possible crossover between 250-350 Hz) or a 15M/15W with the 32 woofer (crossover 150-200 Hz) ?

IMO, your 18cm mid would work just fine, even without a waveguide as suggested. However, a 12/15cm midrange will work better in terms of upper end extension and making the blend with any particular tweeter.

Also- I do not condone the use of the 10F in relation to the 13" or 10" woofer. The excursion required to get low enough might tax it into IMD if the woofer won't play high enough to meet it readily. It also can get the 'weight' of the lower midrange wrong at its size format. The 10F is better suited to either a smaller woofer or a 4-way system, IMO, and in fact, I really don't care for it very much. I've heard it 3-4 times, and while it could be implementation, it has always sounded mediocre at best to me.

Later,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.