How should i hook my speakers to my amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have 2 100watt pioneer speakers. I also have a BOGEN c35b amp. IT is a class b amp. The speakers impedence is 4 each. The amp will goto 4.5 ohms. and it has higher ohms. The amp has the hookup to ohms, ground/com, aux1 and 2, mic 1 and 2/ How should i hook my speakers up? I want to have a big boom stuff for rap music and stuff.
Thanx

'KiD

I have the same problem :::

Ok, i just bought a kicker comp vr Dual voice coil sub (15 inch) I am gonna power it with a legacy 500watt X2 (1000 watt bridged) amp. this is my first REAL system.. and i have never owned a dual voice coil sub. I noticed there is a set of connectors for each coil.. what would be the best way to hook it up.. run 500 watts to each coil? in stereo mode (using both channels) my amp pushes 2 ohms.. each coil is 2 ohms.. so i am thinking that is how i should do it.. but i have never done this before and wanted to make sure :).. thanks for the help.

cyberkidd007 said:
no i meant like how should i connect it to the amp and stuff

you've lost me here.......

LiquidRock said:
I have the same problem :::

Ok, i just bought a kicker comp vr Dual voice coil sub (15 inch) I am gonna power it with a legacy 500watt X2 (1000 watt bridged) amp. this is my first REAL system.. and i have never owned a dual voice coil sub. I noticed there is a set of connectors for each coil.. what would be the best way to hook it up.. run 500 watts to each coil? in stereo mode (using both channels) my amp pushes 2 ohms.. each coil is 2 ohms.. so i am thinking that is how i should do it.. but i have never done this before and wanted to make sure :).. thanks for the help.

Sounds right to me, make sure you get the phasing right.

cyberkidd007 said:
Richard what do you mean "ommit the speaker cables?" What ohm setting should i use? and what should i use as the input?

Us Brits are such wags......

Don't understand what you are trying to set up.
The amplifier has an "ohm" setting ?
Is it a mono pubic address amplifier with 100V line out ?

:) sreten.

sreten what is Phasing? ( i am REALLY REALLY new to this).. o, i did some more research and found a guide at JL Audio. I now understand parallel and series.. and independant! one thing:

Ok i have the 500X2 amp now i cant go parallel because id only be puting 500 watts through both coils (they would share the 500) if i go series i get the full 1000 watts shared with both coils.. @ 8 ohms.. OR i could go independant and it would give 500 through each coil at 2 ohms.. im just curios as to what would be louder.. or is it something i need to test?

in other words which way should i hook it up..

1) series @8 ohms (1000 watts shared between coils)
2) independant @2ohms(500 watts to each coil)

Once again, thanks

ok i got it all solved now. it is 1 in the mornin and my parents room is right under mine and my amp goes to 10 on 2 it is too loud and i dont wont to wake them upa on christmas eve since my dad is off. BUt anyways.i have one speaker hooked up right now and i wont both of them hooked up. The setting for it is at 4.5 ohms and my speaker is 4 ohms. Should i hook the other in series or parrallel? thanx

'KiD

in other words which way should i hook it up..
1) series @8 ohms (1000 watts shared between coils)
2) independent @2ohms(500 watts to each coil)

Where does 8 ohms come from ?
Your driver is 4 ohms with the coils in series.

2) sounds right
1) would be right for an 8 ohm driver

(I'll reply to the other stuff after visiting my psychic ;) )

my speaker is a 4 0hm (2 ohms per coil) when you hook up a series it doubles the ohms.. thus giving 4 ohms each meaning the amp brideged would push 1000 watts (whihc each coil would share) @ 4 ohms per coil that makes 8 ohms total which is the most my amp can handle bridged (it handles 2-4 stereo and 4-8 bridged)

so like i asked before :

would it be better to do 1000watts shared between the two @ 8 ohms

or 500 watts each @ 2 ohms?

independantly each coils is pushed by each channel.. thus meaning you are only having the minimum resistance (2 ohms)

is less resistance gonna give a cleaner, louder bass?

or would 8ohms with 1000 watts SHARED (as in each coil shares the total 1000 watts.

sry if i just bunched everything together.. im just wondering how i should hook it up.

i would try myself but car is in shop right now being fixed (damn fly wheel went out and i dont have time (with work and all) to pull tranny etc myself.

once again thanks for the help

Liquid

I'm reading that, and trying to figure what the difference is between 500w each, or 1000w shared...
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another... :angel:

But I think there are larger issues here then that.

LiquidRock, could you maybe give us the model number of your amp, then we chould check the specs out. I doubt that an amp would put out 1000W at 2ohm, and 500x2 into 8ohms.
Remember basically every time you double the resistance (ohms) you cut the power in 1/2*

*Generally speaking, of course many amps do tricks and things with circuits and numbers so that power output vs speaker resistance is not linear. But in most good car amps these rules seem to hold true.

my speaker is a 4 0hm (2 ohms per coil) when you hook up a series it doubles the ohms.. thus giving 4 ohms each meaning the amp brideged would push 1000 watts (whihc each coil would share) @ 4 ohms per coil that makes 8 ohms total which is the most my amp can handle bridged (it handles 2-4 stereo and 4-8 bridged)

I can't get my head around the tortured logic of the above.

Bridging the amp means to wire the coils in series which is a 4 ohm load (for 2 2ohm coils).

That's it, end of story.

If your amplifier specs say that it can handle a 4 ohm load in
bridged mode, then connect it this way, you should get more
power, theorectically up to 2000w bridged into 4 ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.