JBL M2 for The Poors

For me, I would like to see a fusion. D2430k or d2415k on an larger M2 based waveguide in a danley sound labs configuration. Closer center to center to tackle the M2's beeming at the compression drivers lower octave with the Danley "point source" magic.

Maybe throw in some aquarium foam to lower the elusive higher order modes/HOM's just to **** off Geddes. lol :)

I'm really REALLY tempted to buy a pair of the D2s and make some Synergy Horns. I nearly bought them this morning. They're a no brainer; we already know that ring radiators are perfect for Synergy Horns, and the D2 is the best of the best.

Just do it!:devilr:

I would be inclined to "cheat" with a minidsp unit as well. With the D2 would a midrange even be necessary? Could you get a fullrange synergy with just a D2 and a woofer or two potentially simplifying the design. Then again, it may overly complicate things. I have been known to initially oversimplify things when it comes to slapping transducers together. When I first saw the DSL synergy I thought oh, ok, just slap some boards together with a tight driver spacing and drill some holes in it. I can do that...lol:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am sure the 2216nd is a damn nice driver and might even be as good as TAD for half the price. Who knows ?
But I want to build a monster with two 15" woofers and this might be easier with a 10" low-mid between woofer and tweeter. And then I can use a beefier bass driver than would not go as high as a 2216nd can.
Apart fom that - on some forums there were discussions that the D2 might not be at ease (THD wise) at higher SPLs if crossed below 1 kHz.

Regards

Charles

this is old news and may have been posted here before...

Alex Voishvillo, JBL Senior Manager, Transducer Engineering @ 4:25. I want their "rapid prototyping machine", check out the D2 prototype parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsu61g_hreg

****I watched this again, the fwiw the prototype parts are not for the D2 but a different compression driver. very cool.

Just an FYI, a poster on another site is claiming "From very reliable sources I have been informed that the D2430 driver is produced by BMS......"
He also states the information is second hand:
"I have this information from the owner of a leading class D amplifier brand, who has very close contacts with the owner of BMS and did a factory visit in Sofia recently."

Seems unlikely that JBL would put a "made in Mexico" sticker on a product made in Sofia, but who knows anymore.

BMS does have a lot of experience in annular polymer diaphragm production, maybe JBL is now outsourcing to a factory with better QC.

Where the product is made is not of much concern to the end user, because a JBL product will go still through their own distribution network, not BMS.

He also states the information is second hand:<snip>

For the past five years or so, JBL seems to be in the habit of selling drivers that are similar or identical to BMS (JBL 2407), then refining the design and manufacturing them in Mexico. (JBL 2408H-1) I don't have a 2407, but I have a 4540ND, and it's made in Germany. The 2408H-1 is made in Mexico.

The car manufacturers are doing the same thing. A couple of German marques have set up factories in Mexico, and will be exporting out of Mexico then back to Germany.

BMW confirms new Mexican plant - Autoblog

Last edited:
I keep having a recurring thought of an M2/synergy with a D2 and a pair of ...maybe 2216nd's(?) strapped in a la Danley SH-50 style with a digital crossover/eq(ie. minidsp). Clean, clear, point source controlled directivity...

Perhaps it would be better, and less complicated, to just mount the D2430k to the M2 waveguide and take a different approach to the low end, such as a pair of OB subs or several sealed boxes strewn about...

I think you keep missing the point that you would *still* need midranges, making the larger throat driver a bit of a waste for home use. For a 700hz or so xo you would need the ports fairly close to the cd exit, and with 15" mids the ports are going to need to be fairly large compared to what we would normally use for a 4-5" mid. Would a 15 even get up that high with the bandpass chamber?

I would not be married to the 2216nd. A more suitable driver may exist for this application. I believe, though I may be the least qualified person on this forum to make such a determination, the 2216n can handle the high xo point, as to the spacing and ports, the ports would probably have to be oblong(SH96) in lieu of circular as in the SH-50.

2216Nd

Last edited: