Confuse... When to use a Zobel network ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IMHO, the Zobel was needed in the past because with a flattened impedance the crossover could be easily calculated. This is not true anymore, because you can design the crossover with software that take into account the real impedance of the drivers. Look at reputable designs, you will hard pressed to find a Zobel, if you even find one.

Ralf

Seems like everybody tried to tell me a zobel doesn't help in sound but in crossover design.

So, If I have a speaker that doesn't have any filter or network (that's mean it's directly connected to the amplifier) and then added a zobel network onto it.

Is there anything different in sound happened ?

Zobel network is needed to correct some instabilities of the amplifier, because of (imprevisible) phase variations caused by wires or/and crossovers, drivers, etc. Problems are occuring at high fréquencies (10 Mhz or so...), and cause some sound harshness. This can vary from case to case, from time to time. No general rule exist. Usual values are 10 ohms and 0.1 µF in series.

Zobel network is like an insurance, one use it, hoping that it is useless !

So, If I have a speaker that doesn't have any filter or network (that's mean it's directly connected to the amplifier) and then added a zobel network onto it.

Is there anything different in sound happened ?

Unless it is a funny valve amp with high output impedance then there will be no change in sound.

I can be wrong, but this kind of Zobel is usually implemented in the amplifier. My TDA7240 amp has a 2R2 + 0.10uF Zobel, and this is mandatory to prevent oscillation.

That is correct, Boucherot cell is another name for this kind of network.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.