CD Dipoles, how important is the rear dispersion when compared to front dispersion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello there,

Since everything is about compromises one I've thought about is this:

If I do A then I will have symmetric front / back dispersion but the dispersion itself will have some anomalies.

If I do B then I will have perfect front dispersion but more anomalies in the rear dispersion.

Or in short, is it worth trading rear dispersion for better front dispersion? My gut feeling says yes but then another question arises: If that is so, how much error can you get away with on the rear dispersion as long as the front is flawless?

Isn't the - minimal - dispersion to the sides the real target to go for?
What I want from a dipole is a high and constant direct/reflected SPL ratio. This is achieved by having a deep and wide dipole null to the side. One requirement for this deep null is a high forward/backward symmetry of the radiation pattern. If you try to attenuate the backward radiation, you will get more of a cardioid pattern - automatically.

Both patterns have their pros and cons. You just need to make up your mind which one you really want - and for what reasons. How to achieve each of them is straightforward - at least in theory. :)

Rudolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.