Alleyway Sansui SP-1500s - Worth restoring?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I created an account at the suggestion of someone over at /r/audiophile, and I hope this is in the right forum. If not, I'll repost.

I found a pair of Sansui SP-1500s in the alley, they're obviously in rough shape but I liked the heft they have (70s hardwood) and the sheer number of speakers on the front is a first for me. I'm new to audiophilia, I re-foamed a thrift store pair of Infinity RS300s a while ago and I thought they would be the last speakers I'd ever need, but the itch is back...

Two pictures here: imgur: the simple image sharer

I've got zero dollars into these so if anyone has any ideas on where to get replacement parts for these I'm all ears.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The bass drivers & tweeters look OK. The resy are not original and not pairs. Salvage the XOs & the damping.

THOOsnHl.jpg

The cabs might be worth repurposing.

dave

There are Sansui-nutniks that would pay crazee dollars for a pristine and all original set of these...unfortunately yours won't qualify and I doubt that the one WF (Left side cabinet lying on its back) will be in good shape. Looks pretty knackered to me but still worth a pull. The 4 dome tweets look interesting though...at worst pull the tweets and the woofs..and x/os lots you can tinker with an use to learn from....good luck

Last edited:
Who needs double tweeters nowadays? No one !
And double mids ?
And the resistor network for soft/normal/hard ?
Well...who needs a 20 W woofer ? :eek::p
I made a research and I found Sansui replacement speaker parts / spares for Vintage Sansui models.
So the mids are 6 1/2 " and 5" and both are 16 Ω, like the tweeters.
I wouldn't bother with the double driver arrangement. Just make a new baffle
for having wf-mid-tw on axis and find a 4-5-6 inches speaker and a new tweeter pair. Sensitivities shall be above 90 dB/W/m and below 95 dB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.