bernard brooks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bernard, I doubt that your crossover is blown. I've never seen a blown crossover that wasn't accompanied by a blown driver (from driving too hard). You can get dried up electrolytic capacitors in a crossover from age, but that wouldn't stop a woofer from playing -- only an open inductor (or a fuse) is likely to do that, and inductors basically never fail open.

Odds are the woofer is blown. If you want to check, swap the woofers between the speakers and see if the problem follows the woofer.

Many thanks, for this response. The reason I thought it was the crossover is that the Castle Howards have 2 x 6" combined bass and mid range speakers in each cabinet, one upward firing and one forward firing. Both of the speakers in the right hand cabinet are producing mid range response but not bass. Is it possible to blow a speaker partially?. Its not the amp as I have reversed the speaker outputs to no avail.

thanks again Bernard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.