First Multi-way Build. What to build for a big room?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After successfully building the Pensil full-range with JX-92S's, I'm ready to venture into my first crossover project.
My parameters:

1— Relatively easy electronics for a novice. I've built a few kits (mostly point to point stuff...headphone amp, guitar pedals) and I'm good with carpentry.
2— Usage: This will be our main multi-purpose set of speakers. Not hifi, by any means. It'll be hooked up to an unremarkable AV receiver for the time being. I'll eventually ditch that for something better, but I'm guessing we'll be watching movies and listening to records on that for a while, yet.
3— The room. It's huge. A converted warehouse with 13foot ceilings, brick walls and concrete floors. There's actually a good amount of acoustic dampening, but the space is large. That being said, there's some flexibility around the size of the speakers.
4— Absolute max budget is $500

Love this forum. Ya'll we're so helpful with the last project, and it absolutely rules!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I take it that $500- is for the drivers and XO parts and not to include woodwork and is for stereo only ?

Good part is that in huge room you can afford the physical space to use huge boxes but you probably not get the SPL you need for a room that big with that small a budget.

There is however a huge thread on a similar project somewhere that involved cheaper drivers in a great big box.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
It will take a bit of reading but the speakers I was thinking of are dicussed in these 3 threads, actually worth reading through as they talk about speaker design in genearal

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...00-watt-speakers.html?perpage=10&pagenumber=1

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/85852-what-should-i-use-build-my-own-crossover.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/88104-bbbib-bigger-badder-bib-speaker.html

I don't know if the speakers talked about in the three threads ever got built tho

I think if any one read all 4 threads they would learn alot, the one I posted goes on to modding the drive unit as well.
There is also the Planet10 EmKen: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/208347-ladies-gentlemen-emken.html.
JKRO & I were beta builders - it fills fairly large spaces with ease, though for bigger than say 17 x 27 ft, it could do with a sub or two (I'm slowly working up to matching enclosures for this.... hehehe)

Thanks everyone. Will start doing my homework :)

One thing I have been really curious about is if anyone has built something like a "built in" or console — but a bit more modern/minimal than those 60's pieces of "furniture". I'm thinking of something that sits on the floor, 5-7 feet long and maybe just knee high. Speaker built in and a bay for records or gear in the middle.

Uhhh..ok, please excuse my complete lack of speaker building knowledge here, I'm sure this is laughable to some degree.
Here's a sketch of something aesthetically I think would be interesting – I just haven't seen many builds here that have speaker so low to the ground (kind of like the some of the other BIBs but turned on their side). I'm guessing that's because it's a bad idea?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now put a wall flush with the front of the speakers and get rid of the baffle. You have the room. It would make huge speakers practically invisible.You could also flush mount your tv add built ins etc. Always wanted to build speakers into a wall. Big and heavy as you want. Just not very flexible.

And if your watching movies you should build 3.

TYPICALLY:

1) The speaker tweeter should be 39" - 42" high = seated ear level. Tweeters beam at the highest frequencies and you want the narrowest 10K-20KHz lobing at ear level.

2) Putting speakers >3ft from the rear and side walls will create the best 3D stereo soundstage. Low frequency bass will increase as the speakers move closer to the walls. Easy to simulate

3) Use the 1:1.1 to 1:1.25 ratio of listener distance from the speakers vs. Speaker-to-Speaker distance. A 8' Speaker-to-Speaker distance typically generates the most "real size instruments". You will generally get the best imaging and other spatial qualities if your speakers and your usual seating position form an almost equilateral triangle, with the speakers not quite as far apart from each other as they are from you.

4) Toe-in the speakers to aim just in front of the main listener position.

5) Stare at fig. 1

6) Feel the attraction to fig. 2 (2-stage build?)

If you decide to build a long-and-low cabinet, consider putting just the woofers in that cabinet and the MT above in a reduced diffraction box that can be rotated.

Attachments

• Hypno.jpg
    Hypno.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Sealed 3Way.jpg
    Sealed 3Way.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 59
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.