|Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers|
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.
Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|22nd December 2003, 06:30 PM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA area
DIY HT - North Creek vs. E-Speakers
I am finishing my basement including HT and plan on making my own speakers. I have done a lot of researching including talking to some on this board.
I am currently comparing setups from North Creek and e-speakers.
Considering my budget, the following setups are being considered:
Rhythms across the front with Okara IIs in the rear...all 9500 tweeters.
G2/PHL MTMs across the front and standard G2/PHL 2-way in the rear...same drivers everywhere
I have heard great things on all these speakers but I believe I would be a fan of the ribbon/PHL combo. Although the North Creek setup will have more bass for music playback (HT will use sub definitely)
Other items to consider:
- Rears: I am wall mounting the rears. The G2/PHL rear is pretty big...and may require mounting sideways...mounting a ribbon sideways? Or I could potentially mount it normal but at an angle down to help with the vertical dispersion of the ribbon anyway. Andre did say we could redesign the cabinet to be wider and flatter (I picture a B&W nautilus surround speaker I saw....) At least it is front vented...the Okaras are designed to be close to the wall but not ON the wall....so I would have to mount them so they have at least 6" of space behind.
- Room is 15x20x9' high. It will be HT/Music 50/50. I like ribbons but am concerned over the vertical dispersion (mainly on rears).
- Crossovers - Do e-speakers and North Creek supply similar quality components or do we know that one is superior to the other?
- Experience - I have seen many reviews of the Rhythms...you dont see reviews on Andre's speakers...I have talked to two people that made them and love them, but that is it.
|23rd December 2003, 12:02 AM||#3|
Join Date: Dec 2000
I have the top of the line rhythm revelator with the 8 ga inductors and the sound is pretty much amazing. Bass is especially good because I am driving them with alephX. However, NC speakers are mucho $$$$!!!.
I know nothing about e-speakers, I like NC because they are a complete kit and they are made by real pros as a side business for their OEM (or at least that is what George claims). Alot of attention goes into the components and the assembly of the massive, NOT very cost effective X-over. The first impression you get the the 6 inches diameter x 2inch high coil in your hand is "it has to sound good!". I think that if george could make equally good sounding speakers using 1/4 of the weight in Cu he probably would. When I see $50K speakers using crappy little coils I wonder.
|23rd December 2003, 08:36 AM||#4|
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
The North Creek have an excellent reputation but are very expensive. The SS 9500 tweeter is not considered among the top tweeters. But North Creek is known to get the most out of the components...
I recommend you consider going sealed all-around with Hiquphon tweeters:
* Dillon Acoustics Ego all around. You can get the design free from: http://www.dillonacoustics.com
or buy the kit for $454/pair for all parts from:
These are only, 12"H x 7.5"W x 7"D
*Dennis Murphy MBOW1 for surrounds and center and MBOW1-3way for mains
These would be less money (about $300) but very well designed.
Go to www.madisound.com for more information
* www.ellisaudio.com 1801s for main, you can go sealed
* www.gr-research.com with combination of AV1, AV2 or AV3
* Sealed Adire Tumult with 1000watt amp $800 (normally $1350)
* Sealed Adire SX10 with choice of amps about $500
You should be please with any of these. Good luck,
PS. Ken Martinez on Madisound Forum has Okara cabinets, finished with different wood veneers for very inexpensive, like $230 a pair. He has a very good reputation. I bought my Hypex HS200 plate amp from him, excellent to deal with.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|WTB: 6 North Creek d25's||bhg41088||Swap Meet||0||29th December 2004 09:37 AM|
|north creek d28||pxr5||Multi-Way||4||1st November 2004 06:15 PM|
|North Creek||Danse||Multi-Way||0||7th October 2004 11:39 PM|
|North Creek Thunder||sduford||Multi-Way||0||7th March 2004 03:35 PM|
|North Creek D25-06S tweeters?||Oz_Audio||Multi-Way||1||16th December 2002 09:23 AM|
|New To Site?||Need Help?|