Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MLTL for prototype drivers from China

I got stuck with a box of prototype 6.5" drivers from China. They appear to be well made. They are 4 ohm. car audio drivers but the specs are favorable. I'm looking for someone that can help with modeling a MLTL for them. I've had them for 3yrs and I would like to do something with them.
Name: Brand X
fs. 37.8
sd 118 cm2
le .13mh
vas 35 L
qt .32
re 3.1 ohm
Old 28th November 2013, 05:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think you'll find the Qts is a little low for the traditional MLTL setup, and will likely be a little lean in the bass in the end.

Nice to see you around, Les. Say- were these from the 'Exclamation' project (MWAF) a few years back? Not bad drivers, but I was more interested in the tweeters myself.

Later,
Wolf
Old 28th November 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I built a ML-TQWT for the Brand X 6.5" woofer according to the calculator on this site. mh-audio Tapered Quarter Wave Tube
The low bass was amazing form 25hz - 35hz but it sucked out all of the 50hz - 60hz. The driver does have a little low QT .32 but this should allow me to tune it above fs. 35hz. I plan to tune it to 42hz. I would like to model and build a ML-TL and compare it to a B.R. that I have now tuned at 42hz. It sounds fantastic.
The Exclamation speakers that you are referring to are using a top of the line Alpine tweeter from about 15 yrs. ago. thanks for the reply.
Old 28th November 2013, 03:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The factory spec. the fs 35hz but I measured fs. 37hz.
Old 28th November 2013, 07:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Maybe try playing with stuffing location. Maybe that dip is due to the harmonic ripple, and seeing a suckout before the 3rd harmonic peak. I'm presuming a lot, and have no idea if I'm correct.

Just an idea. I used the excel calculator sheet on the quarterwave site, to design my tapered pipe. Stuffing was quite critical, and since upgrading one speaker to active, I'm not convinced ive damped enough....
Old 28th November 2013, 08:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think that the recommended 1.74 cu. ft. is too much volume.
Old 28th November 2013, 08:50 PM   #7
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Try the Accidental MLTL technique.
Accidental MLTL Technique
Old 28th November 2013, 10:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have already modeled a design using the Accidental Method and wanted to compare it to others before construction.
Old 28th November 2013, 10:34 PM   #9
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

Because Qts is 0.32, you'll [I]have[I] to tune the system higher than Fs if you want an essentially flat response from the knee on up in frequency. Your choice of using 42 Hz may or may not be optimum, and unless you use modeling software that's accurate and provides graphical results, you won't know for sure what you'll get. Also, there should be no need to tweak stuffing density or location after the build if you model correctly and build exactly what you modeled (unless you simply like to tweak because you can).

If you provide the values for Qes and Qms and give me a general idea of the shape and maximum size of the cabinet you're hoping for, I'd be happy to model this for you.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Hudson View Post
I built a ML-TQWT for the Brand X 6.5" woofer according to the calculator on this site. mh-audio Tapered Quarter Wave Tube
The low bass was amazing form 25hz - 35hz but it sucked out all of the 50hz - 60hz. The driver does have a little low QT .32 but this should allow me to tune it above fs. 35hz. I plan to tune it to 42hz. I would like to model and build a ML-TL and compare it to a B.R. that I have now tuned at 42hz. It sounds fantastic.
The Exclamation speakers that you are referring to are using a top of the line Alpine tweeter from about 15 yrs. ago. thanks for the reply.
Old 29th November 2013, 01:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much. I have a reference pair now is 1 cu. ft bass reflex tuned at 42 that i modeled on BassBox 6 Pro and they sound fantastic. Qes .34 , Qms 5.5 I have no limitations on size and length , whatever is optimum. I prefer a wide front baffle and rear vent. The image I have is about 11" wide x 6" -7" deep x 45"- 48" tall.

Hide this!Advertise here!