MLTL for prototype drivers from China

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll share more information in a little bit, but a tuning frequency of 47 Hz is too high IMO as I came up with an optimally flat response using just under 40 Hz in an ML-TL. Have you been able to model accurately what you've ended up building?
Paul

' I just knocked out a ML-TQWT tuned for 47hz just to compare. .it came out 72" long 1.55 cu.ft took me les than an hour to build it out of scrap wood.

Here's what I modeled for an MLTL

I modeled a simple MLTL as a floor-stander having internal dimensions of 7"W x 7"D x 38"H with the woofer's center located 8" below the internal top. I used a port having a diameter of 2.5" and a length of 4.75", with its center located 4" above the internal bottom. The top half of the cabinet is stuffed with polyester fiber at a density of 0.75 lb/ft3. I modeled with 0.5 ohms assumed in series with the woofer, like from a crossover inductor, which raises Qts to 0.37. The tuning frequency I found to give the flattest overall response was just under 40 Hz. The predicted F3 was 38 Hz. For a 35-watt input I've attached 3 graphs. The first shows the overall system bass response (red line) with an output SPL of 105 dB. The red line in the second graph is the woofer's excursion in mm RMS (an Xmax of 11 mm Peak equals 7.8 mm RMS). The third graph shows the air velocity in the port as a percentage of the speed of sound (the port can be mounted on the baffle or back panel).
Paul

Attachments

• LHX1FR35.gif
    LHX1FR35.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 111
  • LHX1EX35.gif
    LHX1EX35.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 110
  • LHX1PAV35.gif
    LHX1PAV35.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 108
I am assuming you literally mean an ML-TQWT with a tapered, expanding area from closed end to open end, and with the woofer located at the approximate center of the line's length? I quickly modeled pretty much what you described, same length, a volume of 1.46 ft3, a zero cross-section area at the closed end of the line, and an area of 7" x 10" at the open end. The port had a diameter of 3" and a length of 1.85", with the port's center located 4" from the end of the line. The system tuning was 46-47 Hz. The first 49" of the line were stuffed at 0.75 lb/ft3. I've attached the system bass response for a 2.83-volt input. I obviously can't state this is exactly what your design will give, but it ought to be really close.
Paul

' I just knocked out a ML-TQWT tuned for 47hz just to compare. .it came out 72" long 1.55 cu.ft took me les than an hour to build it out of scrap wood.

Attachments

• LHTQWT72.gif
    LHTQWT72.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I intend to run the 6.5" driver crossoverless with no inductor , please advise as to any changes. I'm ,sorry that I didn't tell you this before. I didn't anticipate you introducing this into the modeling. It't late and i will have more time tomorrow to digest the rest of your information. Thanks so much for your help.
The 47hz ML-TQWT sounded exactly like the graph that you modeled of it. Sounded like *** compared to the B.R.

Unless there is no passive crossover involved I usually model with 0.5 ohms assumed in series with the driver. If I know what the exact resistance value will be, I'll use that, of course.

I hope you didn't waste your time with the ML-TQWT you put together quickly. Of course it illustrated why it's so important to be able to model a design before you start making sawdust. :eek:

I find some time to remodel the ML-TL with zero resistance added in series. It will require tuning a bit higher due to the lower Qts.
Paul

I intend to run the 6.5" driver crossoverless with no inductor , please advise as to any changes. I'm ,sorry that I didn't tell you this before. I didn't anticipate you introducing this into the modeling. It't late and i will have more time tomorrow to digest the rest of your information. Thanks so much for your help.
The 47hz ML-TQWT sounded exactly like the graph that you modeled of it. Sounded like *** compared to the B.R.

You have to keep in mind the length of the port and make sure there's enough clearance between its internal end and the opposite panel. You can make the port smaller in diameter and that will allow it to also be shorter, but then the air velocity will be higher at resonance, which increases the likelihood of audible port noise. So, no, I would stick with an internal width of 7", making the external width at 8-1/2" if using 3/4"-thick side panels.
Paul

Thanks again Paul. How do you feel about a wider front baffle as long as the cross sectional are remains the same like 10" wide x 4.9" deep ?

There was no image to open. Just to be sure I understand what you're after in the end, please describe it in detail so I don't waste either our times. Is this going to ultimately be a 2-driver, 2-way with a tweeter, or are you just wanting to explore possibilities for this specific woofer?
Paul

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here is a crappy pic of the ML-TQWT and the Bass Reflex

I, of course, have been modeling as if this would be a 2-driver, 2-way. To compare to the first set of graphs I posted after modeling an ML-TL, I've modeled that same thing but with zero resistance added in series with the driver. That required tuning to be 41-42 Hz, and I ended up using a 3-inch diameter port 5.5" long, and locating the port's center 3.75" above the internal bottom of the 38" internal height. No other changes. I've attached the same equivalent set of 3 graphs, but note this design, since the tuning is higher, allowing a higher input power, 45 watts, to cause the same driver excursion.
Paul

I intend to use the driver full range , no tweeter. This driver sounds better full range than any of my full range drivers.

Attachments

• LHX2FR45.gif
    LHX2FR45.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 36
  • LHX2EX45.gif
    LHX2EX45.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 35
  • LHX2PAV45.gif
    LHX2PAV45.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 28
FWIW, in a 56” i.d. MLTL to get a ~38” seated ear height, I calc’d a ~1.784 ft^3/~38 Hz Fb max flat alignment, though in a sim its ¼ WL vent damping lowers it to ~34 Hz, so falls in-between ya’ll’s designs.

GM

Attachments

• China brand X max flat MLTL.gif
    China brand X max flat MLTL.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 35
56" MLTL

FWIW, in a 56” i.d. MLTL to get a ~38” seated ear height, I calc’d a ~1.784 ft^3/~38 Hz Fb max flat alignment, though in a sim its ¼ WL vent damping lowers it to ~34 Hz, so falls in-between ya’ll’s designs.

GM

I will build this model as well. Can you please give me more info on driver placement , port placement , port size , ect. Thank you Greg.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.