Need Ideas for Crossover Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The opposite of a capacitor ;)

A coil's impedance rises with frequency, a capacitor's impedance falls. You can combine them to get filters that pass low frequencies and reject high, or vice-verse. Here's a good article:

Passive Crossover Network Design

Thanks - looks like some heavy reading there. To be honest, despite reading on the subject I don't understand what impedance is. I can conceptualize capacitance and resistance, but can't get my mind around impedance.

Impedance is defined as varying resistance that changes with frequency. That sandcast jobby you have labeled as a second coil on the tweeter circuit is a resistor.

Personally, I would put a Solen 20uF in for the dual 10uF, and use an Audyn Q4 or Clarity PX for the tweeter 10uF.

That coil on the woofer looks like it's in a cavity that was meant for a much larger unit, kinda makes one wonder...

Later,
Wolf

Another vote for the Dayton caps. Going to caps like Clarity crosses the boundary for diminishing returns.

Clarity PX or Audyn Q4 caps are not expensive, and are in the same price bracket as the CrossCaps. I also did my homework with regard to caps to make my own decisions, so I stand by my suggestions.

To suggest caps with this cost as being above the diminishing returns threshold is a bit short sighted. Granted, if the tweeter is good that is a good thing and the best it can be sans caps, but how much gets through to the tweeter when using different brands is up to one's personal preference.

Later,
Wolf

PARTS CONNEXION

Check Parts ConneXion - The authority on hi-fi DIY parts and components for more capacitors. Clarity Cap 250V is the good one.
From Parts Connexion website:

"5) PAYPAL: A handling fee will apply. We will contact you via email with a full Paypal quote and the EMAIL address you will need to send funds to, only once the quote has been picked and weighed for shipping costs."

That is why I have never used Parts Connexion. There are better (more honest?) vendors around like HiFi Collective and Madisound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.