3D print Horn ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2013, 01:39 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I can, if they're small enough and you've got the money We can print about 300 x 300 x 200mm I believe. Probably wouldn't be more than a few thousand if you were prepared to do the finishing yourself
Old 28th November 2013, 01:44 PM   #22
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I think I can fit the tweeter horn within those dimensions. I'm not sure the price would fit the dimensions of my budget, tho.
Old 28th November 2013, 02:11 PM   #23
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja View Post
Most tricky part is crossover. Try TPL-150H+12p80nd+18lx60v2.
Hi, Jzagaja,

What did you prefer between A plastic SEOS 12 horn & DNA-360 CD and a TPL-150 H.... from 1500 or 2000 hz ?

Seos horns : Are there differences with plastic, fiber or else with sound quality (damping, vibrations ?) or are they just visual improvement ?

Well I loot at the spec of the 18 Beyma...beautifull driver. I prefer but the price a Davis RCA 15 (because both of the mms and Fs...and maybe the voice col).... Maybe the Beyma in an active closed box with digital plate amps... but below 100 hz.
Old 29th November 2013, 03:41 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hello.
--First post!--

I'm 3d printing a horn right now.
It is the driver/throat adapter for a conical Synergy horn.
I am printing it just for fun to see how it measures vs. hornresp simulations.
I think it will be finished in aboud 10 hours or so..
you can see the printing live on www.ustream.tv/channel/andersbr

The printer is homemade and has a build volume of 45cm diameter/45 cm height.
The printer cost around 1000usd to build.

Cheers!
Anders

Last edited by andersbr; 29th November 2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: missing link
Old 29th November 2013, 05:25 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Bravo....

Have you calculate the cost of the horn without the printer (just plastic ?) ?

Hé: Ustram is fantastic... a webcam et voilà ! Nice job.
Old 29th November 2013, 05:46 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Eldam:

Like you, after 40 yrs of searching, building and owning Infinity 4.5's, assorted Magnapan, electrostatic speakers, large B&W speakers I finally got off the speaker merry go round. It all ended while I was at the Rocky Mountain Fest and listened to Dr. Bruce Edgars horn system and the Cogent horn system several years ago. Nothing could touch them with dynamics, efficiency, power and ease of musical flow. I have been to almost all the major audio shows in the USA since the year 2000 and my humble opinion still holds true.

You have a large living space and a horn system would be ideal. Most audio people buy one speaker system after another over time and are unhappy. The reason is mostly the lack of dynamics almost all "box" speakers have.

A mid bass horn is absolutely critical to a great audio system and there is no substitute. The critical 80hz to 400hz range is the foundation of music. A properly made mid bass horn will put to shame ANY box speaker period in that range.

Inductor gave you a link to " paper horn " which is Inlow sound. They have plans for an 80hz and 100hz mid bass horn. They are not that big in size but big in sound. If you can make one of them that would be your foundation for a great speaker system. There are various horn /waveguides available as well as many compression drivers to cover the midrange and treble. If I were you I would get a pair of JBL 2441 2" compression drivers off ebay or locally if possible as they are a great midrange.

High Efficiency is the way to go along with simple 6db crossovers. My system is 108db for 1 watt and sounds fantastic with a small SET tube amp.

I have no regrets with my audio journey over the years however if I knew then what I know now I would have went straight to a 4 way horn system and saved many thousands of dollars.

Joe
Old 29th November 2013, 05:54 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

andersbr,
Where did you get the plans for the 3d printer?

Old 29th November 2013, 06:02 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

thank you for your input Joe,

Sometimes, i just switch on my old Kef 104/2 (first version monowired) getted at 700 euros. Feel in peace after : they disseaper, have a beautifull short treble, a sort of peace of foam between them and the listner,, amazing mid-bass (no Kube, I haven't) but no bass (good for rock !)

My very superior Boston Acoustic 400L are great qualities but separated, that's the opposite with the Kef...you just listen music and not tone+space+speed+polar response+ put all you want here +...

So I understand you ! And I 'm very very not sure to do better than my Kef or Lynnfield without copy design of experienced people here !
Old 29th November 2013, 06:41 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
Have you calculate the cost of the horn without the printer (just plastic ?) ?
This one has a honeycomb support structure inside (16-20% plastic), covered with 2mm solid walls. 12mm total. Weight is 500g, so it cost around 15$ in ABS plastic.

If printing a normal horn, i guess the walls will be solid and much thinner.

-Anders
Old 29th November 2013, 07:05 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ears View Post
andersbr,
Where did you get the plans for the 3d printer?

I did not get any plans.
the construction is just inspired by other delta printers like Rostock Max, Kossel and the impressive Berrybot3D.

I learned that 3d printers are very flexible in construction, you just have to input the as-built dimensions, arm length etc. in the software when built.

Hide this!Advertise here!