HornResp Fta Question ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
This is the angle of the mouth where it ends. For a given cutoff frequency and throat size, the mouth will need to be a certain size to come around to the desired angle (ie of the baffle). This will change the length of the horn but the early part stays the same.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
By setting the cutoff frequency higher, you'll get a shorter horn with a wider angle and vice-versa. At around 150Hz with your throat and mouth you'll reach 90 degrees so you can choose any frequency below that.

If this is a freestanding horn that will open onto a flat baffle you may want to go for 90 degrees at the mouth. This isn't strictly necessary and a lesser angle may be fine. It will come down to getting the bandwidth you want from the size you're prepared to tolerate. You might try choosing the throat and cutoff you want and letting the mouth then be as large as you can afford.

If you compare the beamwidth and group delay between different sizes it can help to see why and where the tradeoffs are.

Another way to look at this is that 90 degrees will be the full tractrix and less than 90 degrees will mean a small mouth (of course you might choose a smaller angle if it fits your needs). A small mouth is going to create ripple in the response plot and with the acoustic impedance of the horn. A small amount of ripple is OK but you shouldn't accept too much.

Last edited:
The throat is 5.08 cm diameter or 20.27 cm2.

I want to the mouth to be 70 cm diameter.

How do I figure the appropriate fta value ?
How do I determine the desired angle ?

Hi HP8903B,

Given:

S1 = 20.27 cm ^ 2
S2 = 3848.45 cm ^ 2
F12 = 150.00 hertz

Then for a tractrix horn, the axial length and mouth flare tangent angle will be:

L12 = 85.83 cm
Fta = 73.52 deg

The half-angle at the horn throat will be:

AT = 3.99 deg

You might like to try experimenting with the Horn Segment Wizard - see attached screenprint.

Kind regards,

David

Attachments

• Tractrix.png
    Tractrix.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.