Internal mods on B&W 802 Matrix? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2003, 04:25 PM   #1
Jai is offline Jai  India
diyAudio Member

Default Internal mods on B&W 802 Matrix?

Hello,

Greetings to all as this is my first post on this web site.

I own a pair of B&W 802 series 3 and was wondering if anybody has done any internal mods like change the Van Del Hul internal copper cable or caps etc.?

If so, could you please share your experience?

Thanks,
Jai
Old 22nd December 2003, 09:39 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can't be serious ?

The series 1 and 2 can be improved at a price :

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/801web.html

B&W 802 Complete Passive Network:

Flat Black ...$ 1,600.00.
Walnut or Black Ash ...$ 1,750.00.
Rosewood ...$ 1,800.00.

Leave them alone !

sreten.
Old 22nd December 2003, 09:57 PM   #3
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Not internal mods but suggestions for use

I used to own 801 series three Matrix

So my remarks are from experiences with them - but I know the others are similar

To make them sond their best - if you are not already doing so- use a High current amp that puts high current not on the rails - A high wattage amp can be high current also, but high wattage does not mean high current - They only reach the richness, fullness and the bloom if they're being pushed by something that can put out a lot of juice.

also, I and others could hear the difference in cabling when I switched to Nordost Flatline (speaker cable)- which is reasonably priced compared to exotics _big grin_

Last, If you are not already doing so - when you set them up - set them with the bottom cabinets square to the room - but toe in the mid/tweeter head unit - in my room and setup the best toe in was to aim them so that their center lines intersected about an inch in front of my head when I was in the sweet spot.

These are very refined designs from their time and the series had already been in production for quite some time before the matrix series were produced.

I agree with Sreten - do not fool with the internal crossovers - It is obviously not viable at this point to put the type of money that the North Creek units cost into these units.

Set them up well - consider the suggestions I made, and look to the rest of your system for improvements

Happy Listening

Ken L
Old 23rd December 2003, 05:31 PM   #4
Jai is offline Jai  India
diyAudio Member

Default Can't afford the Northcreeks.

I can't afford the Northcreek mods and have done all the suggestions by Ken.

I don't intend to do anything drastic but thought if there would be any sonic improvements if I just changed the internal copper cabling to silver? and/ or maybe change the caps to better ones?

Something on the lines of a DIY. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the B&W's as they are.

Thanks,
Jai
Old 24th December 2003, 04:33 PM   #5
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default If you have not done so already

I suggest you go to pure silver interconnects from Source to preamp and preamp to power amp.

That still is probably the single most significant thing I have done in going to high resolution sound on a cost/benefit basis

Changing the cabling internally may possibly cause you to alter the sonic characteristics in an undesirable way - Plus, you're still not silver all the way from the power amp so the potential for benefits are slim.

Plus cabling is _very_ system dependent anyhow

If your budget is tight, just buy the wire and solder in the smallest rca plug you can find.

You want smaller gauges for interconnects, you can find an example at.

http://www.puresilversound.com/prices.htm

As to the 801's - 802's, they can be improved ( as most other things can) by bi-amping - and an active crossover but that also is talking a substantial investment.

Regards

Ken L
Old 18th May 2004, 06:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Can't afford the Northcreeks.

Hi,

I understand what you mean. I'd like to know what the Northcreek crossover looks like too. If you find out, please share your knowledge with me. and if I find out, I'll do the same. Afterall, it's not against the law to share this knowledge or build it for your personal use.

Thanks, Nick

Quote:
Originally posted by Jai
Hello,

Greetings to all as this is my first post on this web site.

I own a pair of B&W 802 series 3 and was wondering if anybody has done any internal mods like change the Van Del Hul internal copper cable or caps etc.?

If so, could you please share your experience?

Thanks,
Jai

Quote:
Originally posted by Jai
I can't afford the Northcreek mods and have done all the suggestions by Ken.

I don't intend to do anything drastic but thought if there would be any sonic improvements if I just changed the internal copper cabling to silver? and/ or maybe change the caps to better ones?

Something on the lines of a DIY. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy the B&W's as they are.

Thanks,
Jai

Hide this!Advertise here!