Altec Voice of Theatre Freq Response roll on / bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
THANKS.
It make sense ...
does it was borne for sonorizing usa cinema??:rolleyes:

mine friend has a room of 5,6 x 8,5 metres....:p

cheers:)
I don't know how it was born , but probably understand that you mean it was designed for cinema . And Yes I think it is . I heard them for the first time in the Koninklijk Theater Carré in Amsterdam and was so impressed that those "little" speakers could fill such a large theather .
Your mates room is to small . Should be at least 12 meters long after the front of the speaker . ( Oh Oh I probably have to explain this to the critics here )

Cheers ,

Rens

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
thank pano, but yours is modded ,so not my case....
To go lower all you need to do is close up the ports a bit. It's not a hard modification. And look - we are on DIY Audio forum! :D

Most of the Altec cases also are in need of some serious bracing, but the ports are the first thing to work on. That said, in the size room you friend has, and wanted just a subwoofer, there are better ways to go than an A7.

So, are you trying to get the VOT to go lower, or add a sub??

I was able to get the VOT to go lower, but had to use a different driver, and replace the open "reflex" area with a closed board that had actual tuned ports. There was some loss of reference sensitivity. Not that much, but some. This is a heretical approach.

It is critical to understand that the front loaded horn on the driver causes a massive tip up in the lower mids. The goal was to make the speaker system better in the *voice range* (the main thrust of the design) and to meet the sensitivity of the horn as best as possible. Another way to look at it is to see it as an attempt to maximize the SPL vs power input. Amps were typically 30-60watts when it was designed.

So, in doing a hi-fi implementation one has to deal with the lower mid horn tip up issue. That's part of the reason the bass sounds a bit light.

Thanks to GM

You're welcome!

Here's a pic of one of the conversions, but I forgot to list whose it is. :(

GM

Attachments

• A5 with 511 and JBL 2245 sub.jpg
    A5 with 511 and JBL 2245 sub.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 181
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
but mine friend want that the VOT remain firm as original, no modded.
You can tell your friend - from me - that's a mistake. :no: He can make new, smaller ports by just replacing one board on the front. He can keep the original board if he ever wants to go back to stock. Internal bracing and damping can only help, not hurt - and it won't be seen.

Have him look here - I built this pair in 1987 under the guidance of Mr. Hiraga.
MELAUDIA :: écoute Revue du Son - juin/juillet 2005

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pano, can you post the phase response with the amplitude response you posted earlier?

I notice that my A7 cabs have several phase rotations below 200 Hz. I suspect that below 200 Hz, most of the sound comes from the port. I haven't made any changes to the ports yet.

I find it to be quite uneven through the 100-200 Hz region and the sound lacks punch. Could be the room, but it is not the same with other speakers. I suspect it is either the A7 cab, or the drivers, which are old Alnico Altecs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.