baffle slant fact or fiction. - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 29th November 2013, 06:19 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Worst kind now is it?

The total energy in the enclosure (or a room) is the same. As Linkwitz & others point out, you can try to break these up somewhat with dissimilar wall angles, but if (if: it's not a given) you do manage, what you then succeed in doing is making something that was predictable & therefore relatively easy to address into something rather less predictable, & concomitantly often more difficult to fix.

As for slanting front baffles, see above. Used to improve time alignment, mainly with low order filters (1st & 2nd) if you don't want a delay network, which can be a PITA to calculate for passive filters).

Old 29th November 2013, 07:43 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post

The total energy in the enclosure (or a room) is the same.
isn't this similar to the argument about cabinet vibration in my other thread? Its a matter of preference whether you choose to deal with a high level of vibration at a given frequency or vibrations at a number of frequencies at lower level.

Old 29th November 2013, 08:38 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

I don't know if it's similar to whatever is raised in the unspecified thread. As a rule, I've given up looking at the myriad threads you have started on subjects already discussed at length on this & other forums, & dealt with extensively in the many textbooks on acoustics and basic physics. You might want to invest in one. Or try out the forum search facility. However, you appear to have torpedoed your own claim to 'worst' in your post above by stating it is now a 'a matter of preference.' Quad erat demonstrandum.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 29th November 2013 at 08:44 PM.

Old 29th November 2013, 09:20 PM   #44
Bon is offline Bon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Basic law of physics. High school. A reflection will always leave at the same angle as it arrived. Add a second surface at 90 degrees and you just happen to get the parallel return.
Exactly! Basic high school physics. This is the basis for the reflective "cats eyes" road markers. I applaud your patience in attempting to inform an OP who is demonstrably ill informed and opinionated. Laughable really.

Old 29th November 2013, 10:15 PM   #45
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, lilun, you're upsetting the old timers with your barrage of questions.

I think I said elsewhere that it's time to do some homework. I was looking for a primer on the rather special "4th Order Linkwitz-Riley" filters. You need to know this. Here's a primer that even I can understand.

Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers: A Primer

On cabinets, I think I nailed it myself here...

Interesting read I found on Lossy Cabinet designs by Harbeth

This is a great hobby. I frequently find myself doing stuff here that used to crop up in my courses on Quantum Mechanics, and Function of a Complex Variable, and Conformal Mapping. You can take it as far as you want.

Old 29th November 2013, 10:36 PM   #46
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

lilun, please do your homework. You are not shedding a flattering light upon yourself.

Old 29th November 2013, 10:43 PM   #47
Banned

is this a university and am I the student? and I guess all of you are the professors?

Look, we are all students. We all have different levels of knowledge to bring. If you don't like my questions don't reply.

I didn't know there was a harsh penalty for asking 'stupid' questions.

Old 29th November 2013, 10:47 PM   #48
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilun View Post
I still don't understand your example. Does everybody else? can somebody else explain
your going to lose this, your correct every speaker book says uneven walls reduce or eliminate standing waves but these people are confusing standing waves with reflecting waves.
A standing wave is just that Stand as in doesn't move, which makes the box act smaller.

Old 30th November 2013, 12:08 AM   #49
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilun View Post
and I guess all of you are the professors?
I didn't know there was a harsh penalty for asking 'stupid' questions.
There are some Very highly qualified people frequenting these forums - some may well be at 'professor level' - All Willing to help even when asked the daftest of questions.
They will lead you part way to water, but they sure as hell wont carry you there and put it in a baby bottle and feed it to you.

Old 30th November 2013, 02:28 AM   #50
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Perhaps it would be better to actually build something than to ask endless questions on random subjects.
Remember - diyAudio stands for Do It Yourself, not let's Discuss It Y'all.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!