Looking to get some facts on drivers before I buy - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2013, 04:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking to get some facts on drivers before I buy

Hey all, I have been looking into building some speakers for quite some time. Figured starting with learning the basics was a good thing. So with that said, what does crossover do?? I kid I kid.

Ideally want to do a 2 way setup. It doesn't need to be the best of the best of the best, just way better than my Cerwin Vega VE-5Ms which since I put a 80-PRS in my truck..are bad. What cymbals!?

At first I was looking at a 3 way tower setup however going active on a 3 way is impossible with my receiver (Onkyo TX-SR701) and 3 way crossovers can start costing good money. For starters I want to start with running passive and going with a minidsp later.

So onto drivers, keeping it simple and cheaper is best. Money isn't a issue, but this is to learn and have fun, not to make the best speakers ever...at least for now.

Really like the look of the Hivi drivers, so much so I'd take a tiny tiny hit off of performance though not much...

Woofers right now....
Hivi f5
Hivi F6
Hivi M4N (Probably MTM)
Hivi M6N
Hivi M5A
Another woofer idea? What would you choose instead in this price range?

Tweeters right now....
Hivi DS1.1-A
Vifa XT25TG30-04
MAYBE
Hivi RT1C-A
Other tweeter ideas? Morel?

So if you have time to answer what would you choose and why? Would you consider something like the F5 and the DS1.1-A? That was one of my first choices but the stock fq response scares me a bit. I will be doing crossovers after I build the speakers and can measure them. So with that said, what do you all think?
Old 19th November 2013, 08:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

First I'd figure out how big I want them to be. Then I'd start thinking about drivers. If It were me I'd go with these woofers http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2985

and probably some fostex full rangers for the rest of the sound. I really can't believe the spl flatness of that 21" woofer but it sure looks good.

Last edited by cradeldorf; 19th November 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 20th November 2013, 01:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yea not that big, they will be sitting on my desk for now. I just want smaller 4-6 inch drivers. Also just wanted to see what kinda sound could be built on the cheap, using under 100RMS @8ohm.

You are right about that woofer though, pretty crazy flat. Just not my thing though, I like smaller setups. If I can get 99% of the original sound I am happy.
Old 20th November 2013, 02:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Michael92,
If you are serious about your project you have to start in the beginning. Don't put the cart before the horse...

cradeldorf is right in one thing, and that is you need to choose the size (volume/net) of your speaker first, so we "diy members" can communicate with each other. Then you have to state about the type of speaker you want. I got the idea you want a bass reflex type of speaker, but maybe I'm wrong here or the final plan takes you to another type.

Then we can start "talking". I have the impression of the type or size of your drivers already, because you mentioned it, but have in mind that some are good for sealed and others for BR, ie. different.

There are many kits in the market for a 101 and that's the only way you can match a midwoofer driver with the tweeter.

There are good HiFi LF drivers, I' have no doubt, and there are good tweeters overall multibrand, the secret here is to make the right choice. Then there is the $$$ question?!

So, as an example only:
The Madisound Speaker Store
The Madisound Speaker Store
SWIFT Ultima ( ZA14 + XT25TG30 ) by AmpsLab
Hope it helps...
Old 20th November 2013, 07:44 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can't tell you how good my 4" Fostex's sound but man are they sweet. Of course I had them on a 24" x 40" open baffle with a sub backing them up but yeah really nice sounding.

Have you seen these videos ?
These little things sound crazy good to me, I think they're 4"ers Plus I think the plans for them are in a link on one of the videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbrmfSHY9mk

Heres the plans link. http://korva.web.fc2.com/bluedrop/home.html

Last edited by cradeldorf; 20th November 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 3rd December 2013, 07:45 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry about the huge delay, I have been really busy with things. I wanted to keep it around a mid-large bookshelf speaker. I am not sure of the volume but the ones in the link you showed me look good. I would go bigger if needed.

Now that I had a chance to read through there and understand resistance more that is great, never thought about it. I have a bigger thought though, them speakers are good into the 100Hz range which is very bad.

My goals are to have the speaker flat down to 60-80hz, the lower the better. I hate crossing bookshelf speakers high cause it just sounds off. I want it to be flat in the mid area as I am not a huge fan of mids. I like a little bright highs for the cymbals and that top end sparkle. Size doesn't matter that much, it is more of whatever size it takes to get it done. Price is gonna probably be 200-300 for the drivers and then whatever else it takes to get the job done, as I said money isn't a issue, just don't want to spend a lot on my first project.

What other questions should I be answering?
Old 3rd December 2013, 11:08 PM   #7
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I would be looking for drivers that are "easy" to use. Basically pick the mid-woofer that does not have bad breakup problems that will make the crossover complex. Pick a tweeter that is reasonablly flat so you don't need any additional eq. I also suggest building an established design first that is well documented so as you reproduce the measurements you understand what tradeoffs the designer made.

As an example, the SilverFLute woofer I am playing with is a very good performer for the price, but it is very difficult to manage. I modified the driver to make the crossover easier. Not exactly beginners work. Where some nicely doped paper cones have no bad breakup issues to deal with and can use almost a textbook crossover.

To get to 60 Hz for real, you will need about a 6 1/2 inch mid-woofer. More expensive, but I am very fond of the Seas reed paper cone, but it DOES have a bit of breakup to deal with. The Cheap SilverFLute gets really low, ( honest 50 Hz) but it would require at least one notch filter for it's breakup unless you cut out the dustcap, add a phase plug, and slit/damp the cone.
Old 4th December 2013, 12:26 AM   #8
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael92 View Post
Yea not that big, they will be sitting on my desk for now.
https://sites.google.com/site/undefi...ightsensations
http://www.parts-express.com/overnig...-pair--300-706

/Sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 4th December 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!