Crossover question about KEF KAR 160Qs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I recently came across some KEF KAR 160Qs (my dad had them in box for 15 years). I do not have the KX3 crossovers. I hooked them up and they sound pretty good despite not having the crossovers. I am a bit new to car audio, but I want to use these in a system I am planning to make.

Does anyone have a suggestion on an alternative crossover I could use? Here are the specs I was able to find:

Low pass: 70-150Hz
High pass: 2.5kHz

Crossover points: 2.5/3.3kHz AT 12 DB/OCT

Power handling: 150W

THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 73
Note that the KX-3 was used for two systems, one with 6.5" midbasses and one with 5.25" midbasses. (It may have also been used for the ".2" or separate-driver variants, as well as the "Q" or concentric variants.)

2.5kHz, 4th order (24dB/oct) is I think where I ended up with mine.

And congrats! You managed to stumble on some of the finest drive units ever marketed for car-fi. One word of caution: the tweeters are a bit fragile. If you run them active I highly recommend putting a fuse in front of them, or a lightbulb as Andrew Jones & Co did on the KX-3 passive unit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.