Crossover question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering how to wire two woofers in a MTM design, series or parallel? I wanted to achieve higher sensitivity by having the two woofers however if running parallel the impedance drops to 4 ohm. I have a vintage tube amp (Harman Kardon A-230) and my understanding was that tube amps don't like these difficult loads, but why? Increased distortion?

If I run the woofers in series it's a 16 ohm load, however when I model it in Passive Crossover Designer 7, the efficiency is only 89 dB.

Here are my options:
Series 89dB 16 ohm load
Parallet 95 db 4 ohm load

I'm not stuck on the MTM design, should I perhaps change my design to a 2.5-way?

The woofers are Fostex FF165WK crossed over at 2 kHz.

Thanks

You have an interesting option with a tube amp- you can run the woofers in parallel and connect their crossover to the 4 ohm tap, while connecting the tweeter crossover to the 8 ohm tap. Or connect the woofers in series and drive their crossover from the 16 ohm tap.

My amp is unusual becuase it has a switch on the back...8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers with only one pair of connections.

Last edited:
Those tube amps have a transformer to step down the voltage and step up the current to drive the speakers, and aren't nearly as stiff a voltage source as solid state amps.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/165634-typical-output-impedance-tube-amps.html

But that classic HK has 8 and 16 ohm output taps, I think - you would get a bit more voltage and still get the 15 watts using the 16 ohm tap.

I'd say put an 8 ohm resistor in series with the tweeter, run the woofers in series and design the whole system for around 16 ohms.

Hi,

Design for 16 ohm as you have a 16 ohm tap.

You are confusing sensitivity and efficiency.
Say a speaker is 90dB/2.83V/1m.
Its efficiency if 8 ohm is 90dB/W, 4 ohms
it is 87dB/W and 16 ohms it is 93dB/W, as
2.83V is 1W 8R, 2W 4R and 0.5W 16R.

The efficiency of your drivers, does not change when
wiring a pair in series or parallel, its the same for both,
the nominal efficiency of a pair is +3dB over a single.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

Design for 16 ohm as you have a 16 ohm tap.

You are confusing sensitivity and efficiency.
Say a speaker is 90dB/2.83V/1m.
Its efficiency if 8 ohm is 90dB/W, 4 ohms
it is 87dB/W and 16 ohms it is 93dB/W, as
2.83V is 1W 8R, 2W 4R and 0.5W 16R.

The efficiency of your 8 ohm drivers, 92dB/W does not
change when wiring a pair in series or parallel, its the same.
The voltage sensitivity changes to 89dB for 16 ohm series.
The voltage sensitivity changes to 95dB for 4 ohm parallel.

rgds, sreten.

Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.