My center spkr. How do I equalize for...? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2003, 11:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My center spkr. How do I equalize for...?

My goal is maximum intellegibility. Is flat freq. response the goal or will a specific response be better. If so, how do I equalize. What is important for max. intellegibilty?TIA

lito
Old 21st December 2003, 01:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Lito,

Aim for reasonably flat. Don't aim for too flat. Many have commented that when they have achieved a very flat response, that the result wasn't musically satisfying. If the response is too peaky or any part of the spectrum is too strong, the balance will seem unnatural. Some prefer the upper midrange 1-5 khz in particular to be a little recessed, say padded back a few db, particularly as the ear is very sensitive in that range. One speakerbuilder I know (a pro) usually designs speakers with the tweeter padded back 2-3 db - his comment is that this reduces listening fatigue and that comercial speakers designed for a flat response can sound detailed at first, but in the long term are less satisfying. My experience confirms this and I normally pad back the tweeter a little, sometimes 4db.

I'd still aim for a 6db range (+/- 3db) with the treble perhaps slightly recessed, but it's up to you. This is a good place to start, and then tweak from there.

regards,
Paul
Old 21st December 2003, 03:24 AM   #3
cm961 is offline cm961  Canada
diyAudio Member

I usually add a boost at around 2 - 3 kHz. However, I wouldn't build your speakers like that, just adjust your eq if you find you can't understand the movie you're watching. I find it helps quite a bit as most of the moives I watch aren't very good quality. Someday, I hope to have one of those DVD things.

Pete
Old 21st December 2003, 03:44 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Maximum speech intelligibility requires that the response above 2kHz rolls off 3dB for each octave, i.e. -3dB at 4kHz; -6dB at 8kHz; -9dB at 16kHz. The response from 125Hz to 2kHz is flat with a window of 2dB. Frequencies below 125Hz are rolled off at 6dB/octave to minimize rumble/boominess. This curve is based on human hearing and perception research.

While it definitely doesn't conform to DD reference specs, I've experimented with it a bit and it works well to fill in where a phantom center almost, but not quite, works. I haven't tried it in a DD reference speaker layout, so not sure whether it would do well or not.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!