My center spkr. How do I equalize for...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lito,

Aim for reasonably flat. Don't aim for too flat. Many have commented that when they have achieved a very flat response, that the result wasn't musically satisfying. If the response is too peaky or any part of the spectrum is too strong, the balance will seem unnatural. Some prefer the upper midrange 1-5 khz in particular to be a little recessed, say padded back a few db, particularly as the ear is very sensitive in that range. One speakerbuilder I know (a pro) usually designs speakers with the tweeter padded back 2-3 db - his comment is that this reduces listening fatigue and that comercial speakers designed for a flat response can sound detailed at first, but in the long term are less satisfying. My experience confirms this and I normally pad back the tweeter a little, sometimes 4db.

I'd still aim for a 6db range (+/- 3db) with the treble perhaps slightly recessed, but it's up to you. This is a good place to start, and then tweak from there.

regards,
Paul

I usually add a boost at around 2 - 3 kHz. However, I wouldn't build your speakers like that, just adjust your eq if you find you can't understand the movie you're watching. I find it helps quite a bit as most of the moives I watch aren't very good quality. Someday, I hope to have one of those DVD things.

Pete

GM

Joined 2003
Maximum speech intelligibility requires that the response above 2kHz rolls off 3dB for each octave, i.e. -3dB at 4kHz; -6dB at 8kHz; -9dB at 16kHz. The response from 125Hz to 2kHz is flat with a window of ±2dB. Frequencies below 125Hz are rolled off at 6dB/octave to minimize rumble/boominess. This curve is based on human hearing and perception research.

While it definitely doesn't conform to DD reference specs, I've experimented with it a bit and it works well to fill in where a phantom center almost, but not quite, works. I haven't tried it in a DD reference speaker layout, so not sure whether it would do well or not.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.