crossover calculators and impedence - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default crossover calculators and impedence

Hello all !

So I've been fooling around with online crossover calculators and got wondering.... For say a two-way speaker it asks for the impedance of each driver in order to do the calculations. So my question is if I am adding resistors to each driver to make each one a 16 ohm load should I be entering in the original impedance (sans resistors) of each driver into the calculator or the impedance after adding resistors ? Values change so drastically when you add resistance to the mix !
Old 5th November 2013, 04:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A resistor dissipates energy, it doesn't convert it into acoustical energy- well, speakers are rather inefficient too !
However, the answer is a no-no.
The online calculators might be of some utility for high pass only, as woofers are rather unpredictable..
Old 5th November 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am actually looking to run a fullrange driver with a tweeter to top off the top end. So the tweeter is a 6 ohm. The impedance curve show by seas shows that it stays between 6-8 ohms in the frequency range I would be using it for. So I am looking at using it from about 10 kHz up. So I've put a 10 ohm resistor on it to make around 16 ohms. The fullrange is a 4 ohm with a 12 ohm on it.
Old 5th November 2013, 10:09 PM   #4
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you need to back up a notch or three. It sounds like you're trying to use resistors to make your drivers 16 ohms to match the output of a tube amplifier- this is not a good method. Crossovers are fairly complex, and the impedance in the passband isn't the only issue.

Can you be very specific about what you're using and how?
Old 6th November 2013, 12:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am making both drivers 16 ohm to make an 8 ohm load when run in parallel. I am using just cap for the tweeter, It's not for my tube amp.
Old 6th November 2013, 01:34 AM   #6
AllenB is online now AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

OK, are you also to be running these in parallel physically? Ie, will they be in the same cabinet, or beside each other or something else?
Old 6th November 2013, 05:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You don't put any resistor in line with a woofer- at least not more than 1-1.5Ω in some ( sealed enclosure ) case - and the capacitor decouples the tweeter
from the amplifier. Look at any design whatever it may be fullrange + tweeter
or woofer-mid-tw...the resistors in series alone play a different role.
Old 6th November 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am making both drivers 16 ohm to make an 8 ohm load when run in parallel. I am using just cap for the tweeter, It's not for my tube amp.
That is plain wrong. If you use a cap then you have a crossover, and the drivers are not seen as separate entities anymore. The impedance will be a combination the of drivers impedance and the crossover.

Adding a series resistor to a woofer is basically a no-no because you are wasting energy without a real benefit. If your amp cannot drive a 4 Ohm driver then change driver or amp. Mixing a 4 Ohm woofer to a 6 Ohm tweeter doesn't pose any problem.

Another problem I see is running the fullrange without a low pass filter. You'll have lobing problems in the treble.

Ralf
Old 6th November 2013, 12:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

So what I am using is a Seas FU10RB 4 ohm fullrange with just an 12 ohm resistor run in parallel with a Seas 27TBCD DXT tweeter 6 ohm with a 10 ohm resistor and a capacitor. (I do have a pair of Seas FU10RB in 8 ohm available if needed). I am not worried about a lowpass filter as of yet as my amp will let me control it.I would just like to start with a simple first order crossover and expand along the way. I am looking to learn along the way and expand as a go. I do see many coaxial speakers with just a capacitor on the tweeter and they seem to work okay for what they are. The drivers I have are in a sealed box currently and I could modify to port them if needed. Basically what I am looking for is a 6 ohm load or higher as the amp says 6-8 ohms.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by giralfino View Post
That is plain wrong. If you use a cap then you have a crossover, and the drivers are not seen as separate entities anymore. The impedance will be a combination the of drivers impedance and the crossover.

Adding a series resistor to a woofer is basically a no-no because you are wasting energy without a real benefit. If your amp cannot drive a 4 Ohm driver then change driver or amp. Mixing a 4 Ohm woofer to a 6 Ohm tweeter doesn't pose any problem.

Another problem I see is running the fullrange without a low pass filter. You'll have lobing problems in the treble.

Ralf
So should I lose the resistor on the woofer and put a higher value on the tweeter ?

Hide this!Advertise here!