3 Way Line Array, Lots of questions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would love to know how an amp without DSP makes sound "3D". If your amp is changing what you are hearing, it's not working properly. The purpose of an amp is to amplify a signal, not going and screwing with it (well at least if it's not a DSP amp..).

Hmm.. Maybe I explained wrong, it sounded realistic, hard to explain. I used the same amp when I used my Yamaha. It was detailed and sounded very dynamic. Seems like it was alive. I haven't heard of something like that unless it highend DACs or good speakers. I'm not as good as explaining things like the stereophile guy ;) I know it was designed as a Sound quality pre/pro with manual PEQ per channel which is why I bought it.

And even more once you discover that MDF is not all that great a speaker building material
j2xgwDMBDSsnVA69OtCogRQzID4UOTOFEwAHkGJSmhPzgRIAFU7lagXmBJGuXwEwEMPlz8AaBEagAjDrBQAkcUj5iCtQwK0FSzhciBsQADs=

Yeah.... The stuff is supposed to be very nasty too. I do have a respirator for that though. What do you feel about using Baltic Birch as a material for building speakers? I know Nathan Funk uses it for his subs.

Its an awful amount of money for something that is probably total
overkill, and IMO will have a lot of design issues that as a novice
you are probably blissfully unaware of. Not recommended.

I did read thru some of the white paper and found what some design issues that may come up. But because I'm unaware, I want to know and learn in greater detail, preferably from someone with direct experience with line arrays. And it Rick says because of my listening position a line array is better then a 3 way setup iirc. And I must admit, I like seeing a line of drivers.

"But it might be easier just to get a Danley setup and be done with it
AHsJFJhC1JVdTiwNFHjIzQRYghQooATggIBTTTRlyNVL0Z4COQLoGuCnQgAduFxBEWgoDaMibGzFWSPmU4csj+wM1PKj1okIIUjp6WEESB+BGGKhQHUrj5U6CaosGTVmjgxZfDhtogIpxgAJAgBgmZTpC5kNAxkcmaIq1B1PgSotWCgQzyIagHx4afCnFZqFdF5IKWCKgGENQxAxKdGi1yBCpWrMCCDCAC0TAdrsuGRDyAcYFIJ0QSDAAIIEiQBEYpWEh5JXTySZAQBmxYADD8KQaOQCTi8cXFZ5cGRBDYRUZd6AuiFnIIhOW1QQucCBFxJMLM7QFTgiioNZheYuAgwIADs=
."

Buying doesn't make me happy anymore :( Wouldn't feel like I accomplished anything.
For some reason I must build my own computers too and know what I put in them. But those Danleys.... 148dB SPL What are you trying to do to me O.O?

In response to George, Thanks for the recommendations on the Mics.

Class A amps are VERY large and VERY heavy and waste a LOT of power. None of which are admirable traits IMHO.

Umm, It's first 60 watts that's switchable. It's AB ... That will appear in the generation 2.
I have only tried their sherbourne line and very happy with it. And it seems they are headed in a good direction. But of course I'll wait for other people to try it first. But ignoring what ever glitch they have, SQ wise they are definitely good. I did hear their stuff at Nathan's place.

I already knew enough to be dangerous

After reading those paper, I realize it's much more complex and interactions between drivers could cause unwanted results. Is there software that also help with the design, I know it does not necessary show real life performance and other things but I'm pretty sure it's used to narrow down what designs are used. I do not mind playing around with software. I do have some knowledge with Autocad but I haven't used it for a long time.

I will ask Rick on recommendations and possibly a design paid for.
Since I'm want to use planars and ribbons it vertical dispersion would be limited and drop. Horizontally FR response on the BG8 is good below 3k before it bounces around and it covers a good region.
I do not know how these dispersion characteristics will turn out in a line array. Personally I think woofers won't be the large problem and the mid and high will be something that has to be figured out.
I wish I can simulate these interactions on computer to have a better idea.

That looks cool, I remember there was a youtube video on a guy that did a demo on these speaker and doing a lot of explanations on them.

I have also seen the simulation of CBT vs Line Arrays on xlrtechs.com with 100 point sources. But there are many type of drivers for point sources and planars and ribbon are quite different. And there is also the RD75.

A line array is a very different kind of speaker than a 2 or a 3 way conventional speaker. It really isn't going to tell you something useful about that.

I realized that when I read the white papers and that was only a bit too....
And I have noticed a lot of arrays are 2 way. It would not work with the BG because they need a tweeter or they will beam at higher frequencies. (85 @ 8khz)(70@10khz)(50@12.5) -6db

I'm going to do some more reading on those papers. Oh, and I still want to know the software used. And don't worry guys, I won't pull the trigger on the parts so quick. Going to ask Rick of course as well. I still need to get an active crossover.

-Steve

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yeah.... The stuff is supposed to be very nasty too. I do have a respirator for that though. What do you feel about using Baltic Birch as a material for building speakers? I know Nathan Funk uses it for his subs.

Definitely better. There is also better. We use Murphy Ply which has 2 more plies per sheet (made in Oregon). And if one has the $$$ Standed bamboo ply.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.