Dayton Audio BR-1 vs Dayton Audio RS621CK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

I know more or less nothing about speakers, and especially not about building them. But I am looking to buy a DIY speaker kit for my brother who does know a lot about speakers, and I'm looking for advice...

The two I've found on Parts Express are these:

Dayton Audio BR-1 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Monitor Speaker Kit 300-640

and

Dayton Audio RS621CK Speaker Kit Pair Cherry 302-962

Now I realize they are in a pretty different price range and therefore aren't exactly comparable (I'm guessing), but does anyone have any thoughts on these two? Or perhaps recommendations of other speaker kits altogether? I would prefer not to spend $389 if I didn't have to, but I would do it if the cheaper kit wouldn't be worthwhile for my brother.

He's never built speakers before but is interested in trying it out for fun. Would the first kit be sufficient or is there a specific reason to upgrade to the more expensive one? Would it make a big difference to him?

Thank you, I appreciate any insight you might have.

Hi everyone,

I know more or less nothing about speakers, and especially not about building them. But I am looking to buy a DIY speaker kit for my brother who does know a lot about speakers, and I'm looking for advice...

The two I've found on Parts Express are these:

Dayton Audio BR-1 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Monitor Speaker Kit 300-640

and

Dayton Audio RS621CK Speaker Kit Pair Cherry 302-962

Now I realize they are in a pretty different price range and therefore aren't exactly comparable (I'm guessing), but does anyone have any thoughts on these two? Or perhaps recommendations of other speaker kits altogether? I would prefer not to spend $389 if I didn't have to, but I would do it if the cheaper kit wouldn't be worthwhile for my brother.

He's never built speakers before but is interested in trying it out for fun. Would the first kit be sufficient or is there a specific reason to upgrade to the more expensive one? Would it make a big difference to him?

Thank you, I appreciate any insight you might have.

Well first you need to ask "How would he use them and what does he have now".

My best suggestion not knowing any of that is that some sort of a subwoofer kit might be the most bang for your buck. A DIY sub can match a much more expensive commercial subwoofer. So you would be most likely to improve his system by getting him one of those. If nothing else there is much to be said for having multiple subwoofers. They do tend to be not inexpensive for a decent one, but this kit which I've built for a friend

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-770

was quite good, reasonably priced and a substantial improvement over what he had.

If he would be using them as surround speakers, that doesn't generally require anything terribly powerful or capable. So the less expensive set would probably be more than sufficient.

Main speakers (L/R) are much more important when it comes to either 2 channel music (obviously) or even in a surround sound set up. They also tend to have bass, as a much more significant consideration either in max SPL or lowest frequency. Something bookshelf speakers of any sort aren't known for, so something else would be preferable. Unless this was for some sort of a secondary system.

Well first you need to ask "How would he use them and what does he have now".

My best suggestion not knowing any of that is that some sort of a subwoofer kit might be the most bang for your buck. A DIY sub can match a much more expensive commercial subwoofer. So you would be most likely to improve his system by getting him one of those. If nothing else there is much to be said for having multiple subwoofers. They do tend to be not inexpensive for a decent one, but this kit which I've built for a friend

Dayton Audio C1500K 15" Powered Subwoofer Kit 300-770

was quite good, reasonably priced and a substantial improvement over what he had.

If he would be using them as surround speakers, that doesn't generally require anything terribly powerful or capable. So the less expensive set would probably be more than sufficient.

Main speakers (L/R) are much more important when it comes to either 2 channel music (obviously) or even in a surround sound set up. They also tend to have bass, as a much more significant consideration either in max SPL or lowest frequency. Something bookshelf speakers of any sort aren't known for, so something else would be preferable. Unless this was for some sort of a secondary system.

That's helpful, thanks. They wouldn't be his main set as he has a pretty good setup already (from what I understand haha). I would think they'd either be surround speakers, or I would use them in my bedroom and he would take the ones he's letting me use and return those to surround speakers (they are EMP E41-Bs). I'm not sure which set would be better. Perhaps I'll let him pick the best of the two if I go that route. :p Do you know how they might compare?

Basically from what you said though, it sounds like the cheaper set would be sufficient since they won't be primary speakers at all, and more of a fun project for him. I will keep that subwoofer kit in mind also, possibly for future gifts, thanks!

That's helpful, thanks. They wouldn't be his main set as he has a pretty good setup already (from what I understand haha). I would think they'd either be surround speakers, or I would use them in my bedroom and he would take the ones he's letting me use and return those to surround speakers (they are EMP E41-Bs). I'm not sure which set would be better. Perhaps I'll let him pick the best of the two if I go that route. :p Do you know how they might compare?

Well the less expensive don't hit the 20khz that is considered the max for human hearing, but regardless of what the magic feather crowd around here will tell you, most adults can't even hear beyond 14k-15k hz IIRC. So that probably doesn't really matter.

The more expensive set is more efficient by 3db, which means that they will hit the same volume level with half the power. Which isn't as impressive as that sounds since you have to double the power for every 3db increase in SPL. 3db is considered the minimum change to be clearly audible.

If he's interested (or you think he'd be interested in this) as primarily a learning experience. The less expensive kit should be more than sufficient. You tend to have to spend a LOT more to get substantial improvements in audio.

Judging from the price on the speakers you mentioned, they're probably at least as good as the more expensive set.

Basically from what you said though, it sounds like the cheaper set would be sufficient since they won't be primary speakers at all, and more of a fun project for him. I will keep that subwoofer kit in mind also, possibly for future gifts, thanks!

Yes, basically. If money is a consideration, there probably isn't that much of an advantage to the more expensive set. I think a decent chunk of what you are paying for is better cabinets. The more expensive has cherry wood veneer and the less expensive has a black ash vinyl cover

Hi,

Generally don't buy stuff for someone else related to something
they are into and you know very little about, You are much
more likely to disappoint than delight the recipient.

However FWIW the cheaper kit requires a little more building
effort (the crossovers) so it is better in the learning respect.

The more expensive kit is a better speaker, but trivial to
assemble, take me about an hour tops, pretty boring ....

More challenging in many more respects is this kit :
TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair 300-702
And FWIW even the most ardent speaker enthusiast would not
argue for the price what your getting here has to be pretty good.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

Generally don't buy stuff for someone else related to something
they are into and you know very little about, You are much
more likely to disappoint than delight the recipient.

However FWIW the cheaper kit requires a little more building
effort (the crossovers) so it is better in the learning respect.

The more expensive kit is a better speaker, but trivial to
assemble, take me about an hour tops, pretty boring ....

More challenging in many more respects is this kit :
TriTrix MTM TL Speaker Components And Cabinet Kit Pair 300-702
And FWIW even the most ardent speaker enthusiast would not
argue for the price what your getting here has to be pretty good.

rgds, sreten.

I know exactly what you mean about not buying something like this for someone when you don't know anything about it. He's looked at DIY speaker kits on that site before though, the only problem is I don't know which kit specifically... I will also keep that kit you posted in mind, thanks.

I DID build both long time ago!!! and they are very good for their price. The BR-1 has more bass, but to me, the RS sounded better. if you get the RS you will probably need a subwoofer to get some bass. The BR-1 can be used in small rooms without a subwoofer.....yeah! "without subwoofer" and you will get a lot bass from these small speakers.

if you want to save money and get good speakers at the same time....go with the Dayton BR-1. ;)

Thanks for the reply, especially since you've built both before!

I think I will probably end up going with the cheaper of the two and keep the sub and other speaker kit that were recommended to me in mind for future gifts from myself or our parents, depending on how this first kit goes over.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I appreciate the fast replies.

Thanks for the reply, especially since you've built both before!

I think I will probably end up going with the cheaper of the two and keep the sub and other speaker kit that were recommended to me in mind for future gifts from myself or our parents, depending on how this first kit goes over.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I appreciate the fast replies.

Your brother will be very happy with the BR-1. Make sure to put the smaller inductor "standing up" not flat;) the big inductor can be flat on the board;)
also Do not glue the crossover to the cabinet....if in the future you want to change or upgrade parts...it will be a pain in the a$$ to remove it. Just use four small screws making sure they are short and do not pass to the other side of cabinets. fallow instructions on the video that Parts express has in their page.

PS: you can always "upgrade" those resistors for mills and also the electrolytic cap for Dayton precision caps. at around $40 extra:p

It's always better to put it outside
And that's all
:cool:

it goes INSIDE speaker cabinets( as usually all do). Do not complicate this project for him. I bet you can not tell the difference in sound if the crossover is inside or outside of cabinet:p
Beside crossover will look ugly outside cabinets, unless you make a nice box for them, but again We are talking about $200 speakers here...Hellooooooooo:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.