Diy speaker with ribbon tweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Diy speaker with air motion transformer advice!

Hello everyone!

Today i went into a store and listened to these two speakers:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

I was absolutely amazed with the ribbon tweeter. Sounded so airy, rich and detailed.

I was wondering if anyone had a tips on a similiar diy build either 2.5 way or 3 way using a ribbon tweeter with good result.
I've already checked all of Troels Gravesen but cant really find a build that i feel a need to build!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hugligan; 5th November 2013 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Reinformed
Old 4th November 2013, 06:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well it might help if you told us what it was about those speakers that you found inspiring and what didn't interest you about the Troels Gravesen designs.

There's the Statements by Jim Holtz that are highly regarded.

Statements

Rick Craig of Selah audio sells a number of kits that use various ribbon tweeters, including the RAALs and he does bespoke designs if you're interested in something customized.

Selah Audio

Just google "diy speaker ribbon tweeter" there's plenty out there.
Old 4th November 2013, 06:41 PM   #3
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Well for starters it's not a ribbon .....
Old 4th November 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

those 'ribbon' tweeter may not really be ribbons in strickt sense, but looks more like AMT tweteers
they are different from what you will ususally find when searching ribbon

could look like Mundorf AMT
Old 4th November 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

dayton air motion - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free

would these do?
Old 5th November 2013, 06:08 AM   #6
4Torr is offline 4Torr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
those 'ribbon' tweeter may not really be ribbons in strickt sense, but looks more like AMT tweteers

ELAC – Klang lebt – FS 607 CE:

It does look like a 'Heil'.
Old 5th November 2013, 07:31 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic George View Post
Well it might help if you told us what it was about those speakers that you found inspiring and what didn't interest you about the Troels Gravesen designs.

There's the Statements by Jim Holtz that are highly regarded.

Statements

Rick Craig of Selah audio sells a number of kits that use various ribbon tweeters, including the RAALs and he does bespoke designs if you're interested in something customized.

Selah Audio

Just google "diy speaker ribbon tweeter" there's plenty out there.
I'm not a very experienced builder so if the "build" doesn't have a good match with ribbon/AMT tweeter already its hard for me to adapt it.

I think most of his speakers have quite weird design. The ones i like designwise are: TJL3W But that has no ribbon tweeter, i also think its weird that the drivers aren't aligned which he writes that you shouldn't do either.
Peerless HDS830875 This again has no ribbon tweeter
This one is the only one with a ribbon tweeter that i find interesting actually, but i don't like the design. Could you do this in a regular rectangular box?
Acapella SE

What i liked about the ELACs was that when we sat down to listen, the tweeter (the guy in store told us it was the new "much improved" tweeter. We did also listen to the older version and indeed it was not quite as pleasing.) was absolutely apparent, very airy and detailed. Further on the base and whole middle range was very I'm not sure how to say but like full and surrounding. Almost ate you up kinda. However the speakers were not good for classical music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Well for starters it's not a ribbon .....
What is it? The guy in the store said so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post

AMT, ill look that up. Thanks!
Old 5th November 2013, 07:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adason View Post
They do like similar at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Torr View Post
ELAC – Klang lebt – FS 607 CE:

It does look like a 'Heil'.
It looks like ur right, i found this:
"The JET tweeter, developed to perfection on the basis of the famous "Air Motion Transformer" by loudspeaker pioneer Dr. Oskar Heil. Its principle: a concertinaed foil membrane is driven by a strong magnet system of neodymium rods. This "motor" drives the air considerably faster than the conventional pistonic technique. High sensitivity and extraordinary dynamics are the result."

Last edited by hugligan; 5th November 2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 5th November 2013, 11:53 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugligan View Post
I'm not a very experienced builder so if the "build" doesn't have a good match with ribbon/AMT tweeter already its hard for me to adapt it.
And you shouldn't be trying to adapt one, if you don't know what you are doing.

Quote:
I think most of his speakers have quite weird design. The ones i like designwise are: TJL3W But that has no ribbon tweeter, i also think its weird that the drivers aren't aligned which he writes that you shouldn't do either.
Peerless HDS830875 This again has no ribbon tweeter
This one is the only one with a ribbon tweeter that i find interesting actually, but i don't like the design. Could you do this in a regular rectangular box?
Acapella SE
You linked to the Acapella SEas, not the SE.

A general rule of speaker building is that you should not change the shape or layout of the front of the speaker, unless you know what you are doing. Those affect the crossover design and other aspects of the performance of the speaker. Other than that it's largely irrelevant. So yes you could build it as is with a conventional box, IF you kept the front slope. You just need to keep the volume of the speaker boxes the same.

However the Acapella's are all open baffle mid ranges, meaning the mid range speaker driver is not in a closed or vented box, but is open in the back.

I do find this somewhat amusing though, since I LOATH your typical box speaker. To each their own though.

Quote:
What i liked about the ELACs was that when we sat down to listen, the tweeter (the guy in store told us it was the new "much improved" tweeter. We did also listen to the older version and indeed it was not quite as pleasing.) was absolutely apparent, very airy and detailed. Further on the base and whole middle range was very I'm not sure how to say but like full and surrounding. Almost ate you up kinda. However the speakers were not good for classical music.
You do realize that sales people will tell you what ever they think you want to hear in order to get you to buy what they are selling?
Old 5th November 2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=

You do realize that sales people will tell you what ever they think you want to hear in order to get you to buy what they are selling?[/QUOTE]

Exactly my though when I am looking at the new ribbon Accuton drivers at part Express : restriction air motion drivers or something like that... a new race of tweeter...which seem to be just another magneplanar ?

Can't really read distorsion and still looking for the Fs data

Hide this!Advertise here!