Got some old Focal and Dynaudio drivers for free. What to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A pair each of Focal 7N515 midwoofers and Dynaudio D-28/2s tweeters. I know the Dynaudios are highly regarded (or at least were in their time), and the build of the Focals suggests good quality. I managed to find PDFs of the manufacturers' specs for these, but I could not find documentation of any projects using them. Does anyone with experience with these (or drivers from the same line) have any comments that I should consider before embarking on a 2-way design with them? Specifically, idiosyncracies of the drivers, harmonic distortion plots, qualitative evaluations, suggestions for crossover points, anything I haven't thought of.

I guess my greater concern is for the woofers. How painful are those rounded-square frames going to be to countersink? How do I get bass out of woofers with a QTS of 0.2?

Hi,

Generally you don't need to counter sink bassmids.

You should note Fs is low and Vas is very high for the Focal driver.
That with a Qts of 0.2 and good efficiency makes it an unusual driver.

I also suspect its a dual coil driver, but I'm not sure about that.

Post your pdfs.

rgds, sreten.

I had to compress these a bit for the forum, but I hope they're still legible for you. I don't see any indication of a second coil (only one set of terminals on the woofers).

Attachments

• 7n515_smaller.pdf
    706.2 KB · Views: 58
  • d28-2_data copy.pdf
    280.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Thanks Scudinc - have a pair of the D28's, only used them for a year or so, been sitting on the bench. The data sheet might come in handy someday.

I bet the ferriofluid is about gone about now in the D-28s. I took some other similar drivers that were bought back about the same time and checked recently, not much left in them.

Yeah, that was my conclusion from modeling as well. I'm thinking about just using a miniDSP for the crossover since I'm not committed to passive. Is it overkill (or even practical) to use a Linkwitz Transform on a 2-way just to get decent extension? Down to, say, 40hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.