The "sound" of high acceleration factor - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2003, 11:32 PM   #31
amo is offline amo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Your parties look like fun!
They are, but can be stressfull at times

I looked up the SA tweeter, and it does look kool. How bad can an 11 pund tweeter be

The TAD tweeter is a great piece, but must be crossed over at 5 KHz, which is a little high for me. Besides, in the regular TAD fashion, they are pricing it at $1k

I mainly stoped looking at ribbon tweeters due to Peter Daniel's reports that he keeps melting his, when playing Industrial music. Considering the fact that most of my music is closer to Industrial then anything else, I figured this would be a bad combination. However, seeing that some are used in studio monitorig applications, I will reconsider.

As far as padding down drivers in a XO, I was thinking more in terms of finding a way to somehow adjust the gain level of the amp, as apposed to just loading efficient drivers with resistors. Not sure how to do that just yet.
Old 22nd December 2003, 01:39 AM   #32
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Well , the SA tweeter ain't gonna melt- It can take it!! I think it is rated at 600 watts. I believe it is a planar driver but not a ribbon which might explain it's power handling. A lot of stories about the huge magnet pulling screwdrivers right through the membrane though. You have to use non-ferrous tools!!!

Yes, a great advantage of the multi amp approach is that you don't need L-pads to reduce the efficiency of the driver. Just turn down the pre amp or passive pre-amp for the drivers amp. I don't want to discourage you regarding the Scan Speak, It is probably a fantastic tweeter. Just not many people in the US have any experience with them. Also I don't know enough to say if it really is as efficient as they say, given it's nominal 4 ohm rating. It probably is.

Ultimately, the SA is going to play louder and never be damaged which sounds spot on for your dance/ techno leanings!!
What kind of price and what supplier have you found for it?

Hide this!Advertise here!