The "sound" of high acceleration factor - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2003, 05:40 PM   #21
amo is offline amo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Hmm, I get 177.78 for 60-800Hz, and 277.78 for 60-1kHz, but it's not relevant per se since either the driver has the necessary BW at the desired Q, etc. for the app., or it doesn't.

GM

What is "BW"?
Old 20th December 2003, 06:50 PM   #22
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Acceleration factor is nothing but a measure of sensitivity. Comparing a 5" woofer to a 12" woofer (or any drivers of different size and/or impedance) with just Bl/Mms is not a fair comparison and it has little to do with the differences in sound between the small driver and the big driver.

Voltage Sensitivity is proportional to the square of Sd*Bl/(Re*Mms).
Old 20th December 2003, 07:00 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Acceleration factor is nothing but a measure of sensitivity. Comparing a 5" woofer to a 12" woofer (or any drivers of different size and/or impedance) with just Bl/Mms is not a fair comparison and it has little to do with the differences in sound between the small driver and the big driver.

Voltage Sensitivity is proportional to the square of Sd*Bl/(Re*Mms).
Thanks. That is the overall conclusion that I came to in post #2, and just wanted to make sure I am on the right track with this. Now if I can only model the power requirements........
Old 20th December 2003, 07:35 PM   #24
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

BW is prob "bandwidth"
I looked up the tweeter and its efficiency is measured at 2.83 volts, the same as the ATC mid. Someone else will have to explain how the 3 ohm impedence relates to the 8 ohm mid (I assume) ATC.

What I don't know is whether they are assuming that the amp will put more power into the 3 ohm driver. Many solid state amps will- others, including tube amps won't. I believe that the 2.83 V
rating actually takes this into account, but you'd better get a difinitive answer before dumping that kind of money.

The Stage Accompany planar Tweeter is about the same price. I haven't heard it, but reports are that it is very very good. It is also quite efficient and indestructable too!! That would make your speakers able to be used at parties, and as PA systems too!
Old 20th December 2003, 07:59 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
BW is prob "bandwidth"
I looked up the tweeter and its efficiency is measured at 2.83 volts, the same as the ATC mid. Someone else will have to explain how the 3 ohm impedence relates to the 8 ohm mid (I assume) ATC.

What I don't know is whether they are assuming that the amp will put more power into the 3 ohm driver. Many solid state amps will- others, including tube amps won't. I believe that the 2.83 V
rating actually takes this into account, but you'd better get a difinitive answer before dumping that kind of money.

The Stage Accompany planar Tweeter is about the same price. I haven't heard it, but reports are that it is very very good. It is also quite efficient and indestructable too!! That would make your speakers able to be used at parties, and as PA systems too!
I am beggining to understand that it is impossible to find a mid and a tweet that will develop IDENTICAL spl, when IDENTICAL power is applied from 2 identical amps. As cool as this would be, I think some compensation is going to have to take place in the active xo. And that's ok........ as long as the end result is good...

I will certainy look into the SA tweeter. I think it is neat to have all 3 drivers from the "industrial" class. The SS Ring Radiator, with its mideavel spike, strikes me as a kind of a surgical instrument, which although very good and precise, can be blunted when not treated right. Maybe I am wrong, but this is an impression from the pictures. It would be cool to have something that is very high resolution and natural, but that can handle the abuse of full power dance music for night-long parties

Old 20th December 2003, 09:33 PM   #26
Nielsio is offline Nielsio  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Don't expect much dance music to sound good on a reveilling system (not to mention @ full power).
Old 20th December 2003, 10:29 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nielsio
Don't expect much dance music to sound good on a reveilling system (not to mention @ full power).
What dance music do you listen to?
Old 21st December 2003, 12:30 AM   #28
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Your parties look like fun!
It will sound as good as the recording, and VERY loud!
Sometimes the high end bass is less "fat" than a dance DJ system - too clean for some music. - But I think you will like it a lot generally!!- it won't sound strained.

in passive systems the spl matching is more important. If you have to pad down drivers a lot it is generally regarded as bad.

Whith active you are better off-Of course it's usually the tweeter that's fragile so best to have it pretty efficient to not have to send it too much power.

I don't know where to get the SA tweetert hough. These guys use it:

http://www.griffinspeaker.com/
not too elegant looking speaker but I'll bet it sounds great!

I guess Googleing will pay off...

TAD makes a planer tweeter to which is also reputed to be very good. I don't know price, power handling, efficiency though....
Old 21st December 2003, 03:32 AM   #29
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Evening,

>How are you calculating that?
====
Excursion changes 4x/octave, so (Fh/Fl)^2.
====
>BW is prob "bandwidth"
====
Correct.

GM
Old 21st December 2003, 10:23 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nielsio
The vast majority of dance music albums are DJ mixes, and do sound horrible, because they are little more then vinyl played on substandard equipment, and recorded right to tape....... This is certainly mind boggling.....

But like with anything else, if you know what you want and what to look for, you can have very good sound. There are a few DJ that have enough brains to "mix" music from DAT tapes provided by respective record labels, and there is virtually no quality loss here. It is even safer to buy non-mixed records, usually a collection of pieces from a single artist (but not always). My new favorite is the CD single, or MAXI as it is called in Europe. Not only do you get a high quality recording, but several mixes of a song you like. Vinyl has potential in giving more resolution (and can be of interest because virtually all dance music is available on vinyl), but my system and budget are not ready to explore this option. Besides, I am more interested in improving the digital side of things.

As far as the argument that the original recording it self is crap, I just do not buy it. Every type of music has bad and good recordings, and dance is no exception. In fact, I would argue that it is far easier to get high quality in dance, because there fewer variables. Get the vocals right, get a top notch sample library, and learn to use the tools......

Your statement makes me believe that you are not familiar enough with the janra…

As Variac siad, it will sound like the record, and to me that is never a bad thing!

Hide this!Advertise here!