The "sound" of high acceleration factor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Acceleration factor is nothing but a measure of sensitivity. Comparing a 5" woofer to a 12" woofer (or any drivers of different size and/or impedance) with just Bl/Mms is not a fair comparison and it has little to do with the differences in sound between the small driver and the big driver.

Voltage Sensitivity is proportional to the square of Sd*Bl/(Re*Mms).

Ron E said:
Acceleration factor is nothing but a measure of sensitivity. Comparing a 5" woofer to a 12" woofer (or any drivers of different size and/or impedance) with just Bl/Mms is not a fair comparison and it has little to do with the differences in sound between the small driver and the big driver.

Voltage Sensitivity is proportional to the square of Sd*Bl/(Re*Mms).

Thanks. That is the overall conclusion that I came to in post #2, and just wanted to make sure I am on the right track with this. Now if I can only model the power requirements........ :scratch:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BW is prob "bandwidth"
I looked up the tweeter and its efficiency is measured at 2.83 volts, the same as the ATC mid. Someone else will have to explain how the 3 ohm impedence relates to the 8 ohm mid (I assume) ATC.

What I don't know is whether they are assuming that the amp will put more power into the 3 ohm driver. Many solid state amps will- others, including tube amps won't. I believe that the 2.83 V
rating actually takes this into account, but you'd better get a difinitive answer before dumping that kind of money.

The Stage Accompany planar Tweeter is about the same price. I haven't heard it, but reports are that it is very very good. It is also quite efficient and indestructable too!! That would make your speakers able to be used at parties, and as PA systems too!

Variac said:
BW is prob "bandwidth"
I looked up the tweeter and its efficiency is measured at 2.83 volts, the same as the ATC mid. Someone else will have to explain how the 3 ohm impedence relates to the 8 ohm mid (I assume) ATC.

What I don't know is whether they are assuming that the amp will put more power into the 3 ohm driver. Many solid state amps will- others, including tube amps won't. I believe that the 2.83 V
rating actually takes this into account, but you'd better get a difinitive answer before dumping that kind of money.

The Stage Accompany planar Tweeter is about the same price. I haven't heard it, but reports are that it is very very good. It is also quite efficient and indestructable too!! That would make your speakers able to be used at parties, and as PA systems too!

I am beggining to understand that it is impossible to find a mid and a tweet that will develop IDENTICAL spl, when IDENTICAL power is applied from 2 identical amps. As cool as this would be, I think some compensation is going to have to take place in the active xo. And that's ok........ as long as the end result is good...

I will certainy look into the SA tweeter. I think it is neat to have all 3 drivers from the "industrial" class. The SS Ring Radiator, with its mideavel spike, strikes me as a kind of a surgical instrument, which although very good and precise, can be blunted when not treated right. Maybe I am wrong, but this is an impression from the pictures. It would be cool to have something that is very high resolution and natural, but that can handle the abuse of full power dance music for night-long parties

:male::female::grouphug::male::female: :spin: :drink: :hypno2: :drink::hypno2: :drink: :happy2: :flame: :flame: :firefite: :cop: :cop::cop::cop::cop:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Your parties look like fun!
It will sound as good as the recording, and VERY loud!
Sometimes the high end bass is less "fat" than a dance DJ system - too clean for some music. - But I think you will like it a lot generally!!- it won't sound strained.

in passive systems the spl matching is more important. If you have to pad down drivers a lot it is generally regarded as bad.

Whith active you are better off-Of course it's usually the tweeter that's fragile so best to have it pretty efficient to not have to send it too much power.

I don't know where to get the SA tweetert hough. These guys use it:

http://www.griffinspeaker.com/
not too elegant looking speaker but I'll bet it sounds great!

I guess Googleing will pay off...

TAD makes a planer tweeter to which is also reputed to be very good. I don't know price, power handling, efficiency though....

Nielsio said:
Don't expect much dance music to sound good on a reveilling system (not to mention @ full power).

The vast majority of dance music albums are DJ mixes, and do sound horrible, because they are little more then vinyl played on substandard equipment, and recorded right to tape....... This is certainly mind boggling.....

But like with anything else, if you know what you want and what to look for, you can have very good sound. There are a few DJ that have enough brains to "mix" music from DAT tapes provided by respective record labels, and there is virtually no quality loss here. It is even safer to buy non-mixed records, usually a collection of pieces from a single artist (but not always). My new favorite is the CD single, or MAXI as it is called in Europe. Not only do you get a high quality recording, but several mixes of a song you like. Vinyl has potential in giving more resolution (and can be of interest because virtually all dance music is available on vinyl), but my system and budget are not ready to explore this option. Besides, I am more interested in improving the digital side of things.

As far as the argument that the original recording it self is crap, I just do not buy it. Every type of music has bad and good recordings, and dance is no exception. In fact, I would argue that it is far easier to get high quality in dance, because there fewer variables. Get the vocals right, get a top notch sample library, and learn to use the tools......

Your statement makes me believe that you are not familiar enough with the janra…

As Variac siad, it will sound like the record, and to me that is never a bad thing!

Variac said:
Your parties look like fun!

They are, but can be stressfull at times :)

I looked up the SA tweeter, and it does look kool. How bad can an 11 pund tweeter be :D

The TAD tweeter is a great piece, but must be crossed over at 5 KHz, which is a little high for me. Besides, in the regular TAD fashion, they are pricing it at $1k:smash:

I mainly stoped looking at ribbon tweeters due to Peter Daniel's reports that he keeps melting his, when playing Industrial music. Considering the fact that most of my music is closer to Industrial then anything else, I figured this would be a bad combination. However, seeing that some are used in studio monitorig applications, I will reconsider.

As far as padding down drivers in a XO, I was thinking more in terms of finding a way to somehow adjust the gain level of the amp, as apposed to just loading efficient drivers with resistors. Not sure how to do that just yet.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well , the SA tweeter ain't gonna melt- It can take it!! I think it is rated at 600 watts. I believe it is a planar driver but not a ribbon which might explain it's power handling. A lot of stories about the huge magnet pulling screwdrivers right through the membrane though. You have to use non-ferrous tools!!!

Yes, a great advantage of the multi amp approach is that you don't need L-pads to reduce the efficiency of the driver. Just turn down the pre amp or passive pre-amp for the drivers amp. I don't want to discourage you regarding the Scan Speak, It is probably a fantastic tweeter. Just not many people in the US have any experience with them. Also I don't know enough to say if it really is as efficient as they say, given it's nominal 4 ohm rating. It probably is.

Ultimately, the SA is going to play louder and never be damaged which sounds spot on for your dance/ techno leanings!!
What kind of price and what supplier have you found for it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.