Looking for help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2013, 01:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for help

I'm new here, not sure where this belongs, I'm just getting into speakers/subs and all that.

Anyways here's the story.

I received 2 home theater speaker boxes from a friend, they have a horn, a tweeter (I replaced) and a 12"inch subwoofer

Where I live I can't have anything to to loud, especially bass wise.

Anyways , I hooked the speakers up to a basic stereo system I was passed down, when I play music, with the bass playing loud, the box seems to have a rattling sound. I figured it was just the subwoofer, so I bought a new cheap subwoofer just to check if it was the subwoofer itself, well the box itself is still rattling .

I'm not exactly sure why it's rattling, where to start looking or anything . I don't exactly know if it's cheaper to fix or to just buy new speakers .

I've looked for cabinets online that I can pickup but I haven't been able to find anything I can just buy.

I like these speaker boxes as they are the perfect size for the room they are in . Anyways I'm looking for someone who knows any information on maybe why I hear the rattling .

Even when I use a 100watt sub with a song that has high bass sound the box seems to have a rattle .

As I said I'm quite new to speakers and I'm very interested in learning more about them, and both these speaker boxes I have are pretty much my starting project.

If someone could help tell me what to look for, what to get to fix this problem, instructions, anything like that would be appreciated as I'd like to get these things working .
Old 2nd November 2013, 03:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, like any troubleshooting thing, the first thing to do is to try to isolate what's working, and what's not.

1. Are both speakers doing the same thing?

If so, then I'd suspect fried woofer. If not, maybe one bad.

If just one, then pull woofer, and see if there are any loose parts inside the box.
move cone, is it scraping or maybe pulled loose from the voice coil?
Old 2nd November 2013, 04:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset View Post
Well, like any troubleshooting thing, the first thing to do is to try to isolate what's working, and what's not.

1. Are both speakers doing the same thing?

If so, then I'd suspect fried woofer. If not, maybe one bad.

If just one, then pull woofer, and see if there are any loose parts inside the box.
move cone, is it scraping or maybe pulled loose from the voice coil?
It's not the woofers cause I've tried 2 different woofers in both enclosures, I've taken everything out of both boxes, and just put in the sub itself and it sounds like there's a rattling .

The woofers both work perfectly fine outside the box . Of you give me a few I can take pictures of what I'm using, the box itself with everything gutted.

I've already gutted the one box completely, re-wired everything cause it had an old wire setup which was awkward and just painful to look at .

Hide this!Advertise here!