Scanspeak 22W + tweeters ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have an extra Scanspeak 22W (8 ohms) pair of drivers which I would like to use in a 2-way build but I'm stuck on the tweeter choice.

Reasonably, I guess the 22W can be cut at a max of 1K, 800Hz seems to be the ideal cut though.

I know that Wilson uses the 22W and cut it around 2.5K in the Duette but their model is for sure highly modified to do so.

Any idea on a reference that would match my needs ?

Thanks !
neofeed

Hi,

I have an extra Scanspeak 22W (8 ohms) pair of drivers which I would like to use in a 2-way build but I'm stuck on the tweeter choice.

Reasonably, I guess the 22W can be cut at a max of 1K, 800Hz seems to be the ideal cut though.

I know that Wilson uses the 22W and cut it around 2.5K in the Duette but their model is for sure highly modified to do so.

Any idea on a reference that would match my needs ?

Thanks !
neofeed

The driver they use is stock standard woofer and they use the Scan D2904/710003 ScanSpeak tweeters for the tweeter. Nothing special at all for the money asked for the Duette :eek:

Last edited:
There is hope for an 8" bass plus 1" tweeter. I gift you below the sort of circuit that would be as good as it gets with a typical 8" paper bass and a low efficiency (ca. 89dB) soft dome tweeter. Notice the lovely impedance cascade I have done on the tweeter. 2, 4, 5, 6 ohms. ;)

You'd use about 25 litre reflex or closed box here as appropriate. It would work well enough with a Morel CAT 298 I'd reckon. (Sits back and waits for sreten's notorious jibes!)

But I feel confident on this one. I love crushing that guy into the dust, moderators permitting. Which, strangely, is not very often. :D

Attachments

• Scanspeak_22W_Circuit.PNG
    Scanspeak_22W_Circuit.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Scanspeak_22W_FreqResp.PNG
    Scanspeak_22W_FreqResp.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 158
  • Scanspeak_22W_Phase.PNG
    Scanspeak_22W_Phase.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I love crushing that guy into the dust, moderators
permitting. Which, strangely, is not very often. :D

Hi,

Nothing to do with the moderators. Sad fact is you never do
with your overated opinion of your own opinions and only
in your own self imaginations are you "crushing anyone".

As ever illustrating what works for a different driver is never
going to be "as good as it gets" for a particular driver. As
usual you add no caveats explaining the actual usefulness
of your post, which is much less than apparently implied.

The Visaton W200s is not similar enough at all to the
Scanspeak for any x/o for it to be sensibly useable.
Yuo don't simulate a particular tweeter and then imply
that the x/o is suitable for tweeters in general, just wrong.

The only problem with Visatons free speaker simulator loaded
with lots of Visaton driver data is you can't import any other
driver data, hence the nice but relatively useless curves above.

rgds, sreten.

The impedance cascade on the tweeter is pseudotechnobabble.

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting a waveguided tweeter or buying a waveguide to use with the tweeter.

It would let you cross the tweeter lower, which is nice with an 8 inch woofer. 1000 sounds about right since the woofer doesn't have a phase plug so it doesn't behave as good of axis up high. You could probably push it to 1400-1600 without that many issues.

The main part is that you want to match the lower dispersion of the tweeter with the top dispersion of the woofer, a standard dome doesn't cut it since it has omni response down low where as the woofer up high doesn't. Unless you use a waveguide, that is =)

An alternative to waveguided dome tweeter is to use a compression tweeter with a waveguide instead. If you make the waveguide large enough you could easily cross at 1000 too which would be nice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.