People I have some newbie questions about speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
People ultimately I've been wanting to build some speakers myself for a home theater that I plan to build but I still have some doubts and was hoping to clarify them here. I was curious about experimenting with some 3 way car speakers wired in parallel. I plan to put two speakers per cabinet for a 8 ohm load. Some custom made cabinets will help here. Do you think it will sound good in a home theater and give no problems to the receiver? I was also about to ask here if somebody knows where I can get some affordable custom made cabinets that I can buy online. I plan to cut the required holes myself because I'm not sure yet how many will I need or their sizes. Do you know about such service? Thanks in advance.

You would need to wire them in series to get 8 ohms.

Car speakers tend to need bigger boxes, they are not ideal really but OK for experimenting if you have them on hand.

To be honest I think you would be better off with one speaker per cabinet as the more tweeters you have the more messed up the sound will be.

Have a look on Parts Express for boxes, in fact you may even find what you need for the whole project there...

Have a look on Parts Express for boxes, in fact you may even find what you need for the whole project there...
I found that site about a week ago and precisely they are the reason why I want to experiment. They have such a complete inventory of woofers, tweeters and crossovers that I wanted to experiment a little with them. I was hoping to get the knowledge here because I'm a newbie in this but the speakers cabinets represent such a challenge to me that I rather get the speakers already built. They have the Dayton Audio B652 so affordable that I'm going to use it to build my home theater instead of the DIY speakers. Is somebody here using them?

I'll end up buying speakers. The reason keeping me from building them is that is no easy task and I thought that this forum along with Parts Express was going to make the task easier. It seems that is going to be difficult anyway and expensive so I'll end up buying the speakers. Also the cost of the cabinets is prohibitive.

People what do you think about this speaker system here? They just put it on sale for $169.99 a few hour ago and have me thinking about getting it instead than a Dayton Audio I have in mind. It has 4 satellites with 4 1/2" woofers and 1" tweeters. One center channel speaker with two 3 1/2" woofers and one 1" tweeter and a 10" powered sub-woofer. It beats the Dayton Audio system I was thinking to get for about $105 in terms of affordability. The only thing is that the Dayton Audio system would have had bigger speakers, four 6 1/2" two way speakers, one center channel speaker with two 3 1/2" woofers and one tweeter and a 12" powered sub-woofer for about $275. Which system do you think is the best of the two?

"Best" depends ...
Not necessarily a bigger woofer is better tha a little one. The MLs are 8Ω impedance; in the DA pic there's a 4Ω tweeter; but the MLs have all tweeters with a waveguide...at least I guess they are tweeters and not fake ones ( piezo ).
So each one has some pros and cons. Higher impedance speakers need more power to sound at the same level of lower Z ones...on the other side the amplifier has to pump more current thru them ( heat...); probably the Dayton ones are 6 Ω.

Certainly not a hi - fi speaker but nice for the price. It's my opinion. Better than Bose size enclosures, not that they can not perform well, but with to many blank spots in the frequency domain. The Dayton Audio B652 loudspeaker is more of a 100Hz to 15Hz instead of the 20-20KHz FR more common in this forums. For this price the wood composite must be very bad and not the best choice and might give some silly resonances too. Not that it doesn't work. Good to dismantle and diy again, and sell or give your kids after. :D
Dayton Audio B652 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

The Dayton Audio B652 loudspeaker is more of a 100Hz to 15Hz instead of the 20-20KHz FR more common in this forums.
100Hz seems like a nice starting point for both front and surround speakers right? You just need a sub-woofer to cover the lower frequencies which I had the intentions to add anyway. Now for the highs that's the very thing I would like to avoid, let some frequencies without coverage. But the low price of the Dayton Audio will leave some space in my budget to improve it. Will add a high pass filter improve the highs coverage? If not maybe a new tweeter will. Parts Express have both and really affordable and when I was studying the possibility of picking that speaker, I also studied the possibility to change some of the parts to improve performance, that's the advantage of their affordable price, it leaves space in your budget to get parts. Did somebody here made that kind of improvements to the speakers and can post the results here?

The more I search the net for speakers, the more I find some affordable alternatives. Now I found the BIC America DV62si at $72.09 in Amazon. It has a 6" woofer and a 0.75" tweeter and seems really affordable for my budget. It has some very nice reviews in Amazon but I would like to hear your opinion here as well. I hope somebody answer soon. Thanks in advance.

Not that it doesn't work. Good to dismantle and diy again, and sell or give your kids after. :D
For the price, like any low cost speaker that had appeared on the market, the main limitation is that very often:rolleyes: the only crossover part is the 5 cent bipolar electrolytic on the tweeter. Not that they can't sound good, but the woofer will still be asked to play the full audio band.
Polypropilene ( or ftalate ..) woofers are intrinsecally well damped so the distortion products might be well under the earing level - of course covered
by the the mid-bass emission.
The impedance plot of the Dayton shows the undamped peak at resonance of the tweeter ( which must be with ferrofluid in the VC gap ) and the frequency response chart & waterfall plot show the rest ( unfiltered woofer ) -which means: not much control of energy :confused: in the audio band

The more I search the net for speakers, the more I find some affordable alternatives. Now I found the BIC America DV62si at $72.09 in Amazon. It has a 6" woofer and a 0.75" tweeter and seems really affordable for my budget. It has some very nice reviews in Amazon but I would like to hear your opinion here as well. I hope somebody answer soon. Thanks in advance.

It would be a good idea if you could flush-mount the drivers on the BIC DV62si. I.e. recess them in, flush with the baffle (if the wood is not too thin).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.