diyaudioandvideo.com misinformation ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fradbut View Post
Hi Team. I'm new to this but please tell me the info from diyaudioandvideo.com is incorrect ?? re- 3 Way Crossover

Although the article contains some interesting rarely mentioned hints it is misleading and incorrect.

It is extremely uncommon to put an L-pad on a bass driver.
Midranges often can be crossed over at their resonance frequency or an octave above it.
The diagrams and circuits are wrong and do not correspond to the wording of the article.
The midrange bandpass gain is not mentioned although the same site contains 3-way crossover calculator that calculates it and it is a known phenomenon. So the L-pad selection and strategy is wrong as the article takes the wrong midrange sensitivity.

A three way has several advantages, one being more power handling, another better extension and yet another the possibility to avoid baffle step issues through the crossover design.
If I was going to bother writing an article about 3-way crossovers, it would be half shorter and it would explain that crossover points can be chosen depending on front baffle width.

Best regards!
Old 26th October 2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Gentlemen. You were all new to audio and crossover design at some point. Please be a little more tolerant.
Be nice to newbs. This is a place to learn and ask questions.
Old 26th October 2013, 09:00 PM   #13
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Pano:

One thing to have questions, quite another to waste people's time by expecting people to read and analyze a full article for you because you can't be bothered to ask what is concerning you. Labeling it misinformation's pretty accusatory too, obviously the authors of the site were trying to be helpful to diyers.
Old 27th October 2013, 02:07 AM   #14
DavidL is offline DavidL  United States
Banned

Well console yourself that Fradbut probably won't be back due to your "concern". JReave did point out several errors on that wesbite so it was misinformation. It's much easier to move on and not get involved if all you are going to do is get upset.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
Well console yourself that Fradbut probably won't be back due to your "concern".
Yeah... and give the space for real members projects.
Sometimes the "vocabulary" used by some members (newbies or not) is really annoying on purpose. Like who cares if "ALL" the information in one website was "WRONG", why is that everybody is reading it?!
Quote:
the info from diyaudioandvideo.com is incorrect
If incorrect, then is NOT EVERYTHING is it?! Explain was done already before in this thread anyway, why repeating it yourself...
If something is wrong, obviously something is, then adress the mistake to the right webmaster and move on.
Old 27th October 2013, 06:18 AM   #16
Fradbut is offline Fradbut  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why thank you for your response Mr jReave. I thought so, with my limited electronics experience but using some common sense, I came to the same conclusion. When searching for 3 way crossover help, the page "http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Tutorial/Crossover/ " comes up as the top search. This suggests that maybe, people are repeatedly being given the incorrect information regarding 3 way crossovers. Sorry to upset captain america there but pay attention to the details!!! :-) I'll follow Mr jReave's advice :-)
Old 27th October 2013, 10:40 AM   #17
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

It is just simply wrong in many respects, baffle step is missing.

FRD Consortium tools guide
Designing Crossovers with Software Only

rgds, sreten.
Old 27th October 2013, 11:09 AM   #18
DavidL is offline DavidL  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inductor View Post
Yeah... and give the space for real members projects.
Sometimes the "vocabulary" used by some members (newbies or not) is really annoying on purpose. Like who cares if "ALL" the information in one website was "WRONG", why is that everybody is reading it?!

If incorrect, then is NOT EVERYTHING is it?! Explain was done already before in this thread anyway, why repeating it yourself...
If something is wrong, obviously something is, then adress the mistake to the right webmaster and move on.
Wow, cut down on the coffee so anyone new isn't welcome because they aren't posting a project? I think you need to back off.
Fradbut was asking opinions if the info was wrong since he wasn't sure himself, so what's wrong with that? No wait...don't answer, I think you got your opinion already. He came here to learn not be lectured.

Last edited by DavidL; 27th October 2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 28th October 2013, 02:23 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
Wow, cut down on the coffee so anyone new isn't welcome because they aren't posting a project? I think you need to back off.
Fradbut was asking opinions if the info was wrong since he wasn't sure himself, so what's wrong with that? No wait...don't answer, I think you got your opinion already. He came here to learn not be lectured.
Agreed, some posters/members not so kind also...
You know and might agree with me that there's a lot of small talk, not saying is the case, you can look at my first post of this thread. So no one else to criticize me much less you (with coffee or without). I addressed the question that was posted first.

In my second post I addressed the abusing by some members. It's not only a few times this happens and is needless to say but some more members get upset by it, in this thread also and they where confused with such a broad and misguiding statement of a site that everybody go's check. It's right that there are some MISTAKES, I SAID THAT.

I feel confident that the OP looked at the issue and addressed that very well.
I usually address posters questions. Is just a reminder.
As an example I can mention the "white van speakers" and the way that some people believe that they have good speakers and come here for an upgrade. It's only a matter of fair and balanced judgment...
I feel sorry for you, you have no reason to get upset it's how things are.
You stay with your cup of tea...
Old 28th October 2013, 05:05 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

#"Sticks his oar in the water and stirs vigorously"#
To make matters worse there is simply so many opinions on where to put the XOs in the first place that you won't get a real consensus here and not all of us pay attention to baffle step, and when I do concern myself with baffle step I usually counter it by adding extra bass drivers. How-ever if you have questions relating too specific combinations of drivers and crossover points most folk here are very willing and happy to help
I'd never seen that site before and I wouldn't go back to it.

Do you actually have a particular project in mind? Or are you just after simple beginners advice?

Hide this!Advertise here!