Building a rechargeable and portable speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a lot of googling I found the Boominator thread on this site and that's something like what I'm trying to do, just a little smaller. The thread is also 6 years old so I'm sure some technology is outdated.

I play a lot of outdoor sports (kickball) and I love music so I need a speaker that is loud and clear. First I bought a Sony boombox for around $130 and it didn't sound very good so it got garaged when I bought an Ion rechargeable one for around $175 and it sounds ok but not what I want.

The one I'd like to build ideally would only have to last around 3 hours at a time before needing a recharge and would be loud and clear. I just replaced an Infinity Kappa 6.5 component set (Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 Two-Way Component System Speakers (Pair):Amazon:Car Electronics) in my car so I would be using those if possible. Also I would try and use a cooler as the box. Easy to cut out holes and has wheels and a handle already. And maybe if there is a lot of extra room I could actually use it as a small cooler as well.

Does anyone have any input on an easy way to do this? Could I maybe take the rechargeable battery out if my ion speaker and reuse it? Trying to spend under 300ish

Two 12V batteries for 24V.

TPA3116 amp gives you 2 X 50W (your speakers are 4ohms?)

It is what I would do.

:)

2x 12V batteries in series is not really 24V. It's 27.6V when the batteries are fully charged and about 29V while they are charging.

I stipulate this because the TPA3116 chip has an overvoltage protection of 27V +0%/-10%, so expect anything above 24 to trigger the overvoltage protection.

You need a dc-dc converter that outputs 24V for this to work.

Last edited:
After a lot of googling I found the Boominator thread on this site and that's something like what I'm trying to do, just a little smaller. The thread is also 6 years old so I'm sure some technology is outdated.

The thread is kept very up-to-date, and it's still by a long mile the best design ever made for it's particular use.

If you want it smaller, you can build a half version called a halfinator, or the Boominator MINI (google it).

You can use any of my designs. They will work as intended, and will be far better than anything you can design yourself. If you opt for doing your own design let me just give you one advice that will save you a lot of trouble and grief: stay away from using car audio speakers of any kind!

JVC BoomBlaster

I play a lot of outdoor sports (kickball) and I love music so I need a speaker that is loud and clear. First I bought a Sony boombox for around $130 and it didn't sound very good so it got garaged when I bought an Ion rechargeable one for around $175 and it sounds ok but not what I want.

The one I'd like to build ideally would only have to last around 3 hours at a time before needing a recharge and would be loud and clear. I just replaced an Infinity Kappa 6.5 component set (Infinity 609CS 270W (Peak) 6-1/2 x 6-3/4 Two-Way Component System Speakers (Pair):Amazon:Car Electronics) in my car so I would be
using those if possible. Also I would try and use a cooler as the box. Easy to cut out holes and has wheels and a handle already. And maybe if there is a lot of extra room I could actually use it as a small cooler as well.

Does anyone have any input on an easy way to do this? Could I maybe take the rechargeable battery out if my ion speaker and reuse it? Trying to spend under 300ish

This is what I use for the venues you describe.
On set of (10) D-cells it will provide music over time period you want.
The sound is robust and clean for its size.
When loaded with batteries it is a heavy carry.

Price for Model RVNB90 about $500 USD (fully loaded unit)
A dancer meets a guitarist --- collaboration by JVC RV-NB90

Price for Model RNVB70 is about $300 USD (base unit)
Kaboom! System for iPod/iPhone - RV-NB70B

Regards,

WHG

This is what I use for the venues you describe.
On set of (10) D-cells it will provide music over time period you want.
The sound is robust and clean for its size.
When loaded with batteries it is a heavy carry.

Price for Model RVNB90 about $500 USD (fully loaded unit)

Price for Model RNVB70 is about $300 USD (base unit)

Yeah. The JVCs are the original reason why I designed the Boominators in the first place as they were pretty much the best on the market.

However, they are overpriced, uses way too much power, have no real bass, very low volume, extremely poor sound quality and flimsy build quality.

You're are by many many miles better of with any version of the Boominator. There is nothing you can buy on the market that even comes close.

Happy building.

Agree, But ...

Yeah. The JVCs are the original reason why I designed the Boominators in the first place as they were pretty much the best on the market.

However, they are overpriced, uses way too much power, have no real bass, very low volume, extremely poor sound quality and flimsy build quality.

You're are by many many miles better of with any version of the Boominator. There is nothing you can buy on the market that even comes close.

Happy building.

I am designing one to build out of PVC pipe. Hope to match or exceed the performance of your design. My motivation for building a unit is Karaoke, so it will have a mike input, graphic display and play CDG's as well. The JVC unit I have is over 6-Years old, seen lots of sand & sun and still delivers good sound. Street price is typically $200 USD. I use rechargeable D-Cells and power draw is primarily determined by how much the bass boost is cranked and program content. But, as you point out, there is plenty of room for improvement.

Regards,

WHG

Nonsense

It's a dead end road to go down. It won't give you any satisfactory result.

To make that statement you must make lots of assumptions about the details of design that are in this case, patently wrong. As they may be incorporated into a patent later, I will not divulge them here; other than to say, there are many ways to implement a Helmholtz resonator into such an enclosure, a variant of which is embodied in your design as well. BTW the JVC product is not as poor in quality as you suggest. See if you can do as well at the same carry weight. WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.