Monster Massive - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2013, 07:53 AM   #61
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

A synergy horn with open mids will not radiate like true dipole. A dipole has same kind of radiation pattern front and back and at (nearly) same level. I think that a horn with open mids could act like supercardioid.

Anyway this backside radiation makes lots of frontwall reflections and boosts power response. How it sounds depends on speaker location, it can be for good or bad!.
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 23rd November 2013, 04:33 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Yeah I think that's probably the wisest route.
The LeCleach has some decent looking impulse response, but the polars are dreadful. This is mostly due to my crummy horn construction, and the fact that the midranges holes are 'tapped in' at a section of the horn where the area isn't very high at all.

Right now what I'm trying to figure out what type of directivity I want.

I used open back midranges on this Synergy horn mostly because I wanted to minimize the 'giant headphones' effect.

But it's not as simple as running them dipole; I also have to consider that dipole radiation requires different crossover points and requires different EQ than monopole does.

So before making any sawdust, I need to figure that out.
Tonight I ran some sims on various combinations of crossover point and woofers.
Basically trying to figure out if I should use one woofer or two, and what the crossover point should be.

Here's some examples:

Click the image to open in full size.
^^ Here's a sim with one waveguide, one woofer, first order xover, and a xover frequency of 1120hz

^^ Here's a sim with one waveguide, two woofers, first order xover, and a xover frequency of 1120hz

^^ Here's a sim with one waveguide, one woofer, first order xover, and a xover frequency of 560hz

^^ Here's a sim with one waveguide, two woofers, first order xover, and a xover frequency of 560hz

^^ Here's a sim with one waveguide, one woofer, first order xover, and a xover frequency of 280hz

^^ Here's a sim with one waveguide, one woofer, first order xover, and a xover frequency of 280hz

Some observations:

1) All of the horizontal polars basically look the same, because going from one woofer to two doesn't impact the horizontal response much. Most of the change is seen in the vertical polars.

2) A crossover point of 1120hz sounds a little high for a Synergy horn. But due to the low order slopes, the woofers on the Synergy horn are only down 15dB at 280hz with a 1st order xover at 1120hz.

3) The polars of the 280hz xover look the best, but I'm not sure if the Dayton mids can handle that. With a 280hz 1st order xover the Daytons will only be 15dB down at 70hz and 21dB down at 35hz. Not sure if they can do that. If I *do* go that route, some serious EQ will be required.
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:15 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Here's the old design for Monster Massive. I've moved away from these plans for the following reasons:
1) LeCleach sounds really nice, but there is a massive dip in the response due to reflections off the midrange taps. I think that the confined space at the throat exacerbates this. If you look at a Danley Synergy horn, you'll notice that the first few inches expands much faster, due to the walls having flat sides. So there's simply more area by the time we reach the midrange taps, and I think that reduces the effect of the taps.

2) With the LeCleach the frequencies below 1khz sounded a bit 'off' and I think this is due to the quickly broadening directivity. Above 1khz it sounded great, but I think if you want to run a LeCleach down to 250hz you'll need a bigger horn. (IE, the flare rate may be 250hz, but the directivity of my horn was only good to about 1khz. So there's a two octave range where the directivity is basically omnipolar.)

Here's the new design. It features:

1) A two way synergy horn on top, using the QSC waveguide sold by Parts Express, which measures 36cm x 25cm. That should give me directivity control down to about 1100hz.
2) The woofer below the QSC waveguide is a TC Sounds 15. I'm going to run this as a dipole.
3) The midranges will be four Dayton ND91s.

I'm hoping for crossover points like this:
tweeter : 1200hz - 20khz (4 octaves)
midrange : 300hz - 1200hz (2 octaves)
woofers : 100hz - 300hz (1.5 octaves)

I'm not 100% sure on what the slopes yet.
First order slopes have the least phase distortion.
Having said that, I've read that there's a way to do 2nd order crossovers and keep everything in phase by putting a narrow bandwidth midrange between the tweeter and the woofer.

Can't find the article ATM, but John Kreskovsky from musicanddesign.com wrote an article on something like this for Speaker Builder about a decade ago.

Monster Massive I was inspired by the Jadis Eurythmie; Monster Massive II was inspired by the Gradient Helsinki. I basically showed my girlfriend and her daughter as series of loudspeakers and asked them which one they could live with.
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:50 PM   #64
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
.... a narrow bandwidth midrange between the tweeter and the woofer.[/b]

Can't find the article ATM, but John Kreskovsky from musicanddesign.com wrote an article on something like this for Speaker Builder about a decade ago.
cue-word ... B&O filler driver

Duelund and Beyond

is that the article ?
Old 4th December 2013, 07:14 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

I think so, thank you!
Old 4th December 2013, 07:16 AM   #66
diyAudio Member

Here's some pics of the horn coming together.
Waveguide is the ubiquitous QSC PL-000446GP.
Tweeter is the Celestion CDX1-1425. (Mine are rebadged by QSC.)
Midrange is the ND91.
Woofer will likely be a TC Sounds 15.

Midrange ports are long and skinny, similar to some of the Yorkville and Danley Synergy horns.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:43 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Is this a QSC 152 WG?
Old 4th December 2013, 03:42 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Is this a QSC 152 WG?
QSC PL-000446GP
Old 4th December 2013, 04:14 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
1) LeCleach sounds really nice, but there is a massive dip in the response due to reflections off the midrange taps. I think that the confined space at the throat exacerbates this.

Here's the new design. It features:

I'm hoping for crossover points like this:
tweeter : 1200hz - 20khz (4 octaves)
midrange : 300hz - 1200hz (2 octaves)
woofers : 100hz - 300hz (1.5 octaves)

I'm not 100% sure on what the slopes yet.
First order slopes have the least phase distortion.
Patrick,

1) Did you ever try shorting the midrange drivers out when testing the HF to see if they were acting as a resonant trap, rather than the tap hole reflections being the cause of the massive midrange dip?

2) The acoustical crossover slope will never be "first order" in a Synergy design regardless of the electrical filters used.
What do you mean by "phase distortion"?

Art
Old 4th December 2013, 05:02 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
Patrick,

1) Did you ever try shorting the midrange drivers out when testing the HF to see if they were acting as a resonant trap, rather than the tap hole reflections being the cause of the massive midrange dip?

2) The acoustical crossover slope will never be "first order" in a Synergy design regardless of the electrical filters used.
What do you mean by "phase distortion"?

Art
While the dip at 1200hz was a bummer, there was a bigger problem with my LeCleach horn.

Here's what I think is going on:

On the left is my LeCleach horn, with a mouth that follows the golden ratio. Cutoff is something like 350hz
Here's a similar horn made by someone in Sweden named 'Asto' in wood. (From Astos biradial lecleach wooden horns )

Here's the polar response of our two horns. See how my horn isn't very consistent, and my horn is rolling off the highs?

I think a great deal of this is due to my crummy craftsmanship. The rough and inconsistent shape and surface of the horn is hurting the consistency of the polar response and it's rolling off the highs. At 10khz my horn has lost 10dB of output, Asto's has lost none. (Ignore the green curve, that's the QSC waveguide which I was comparing the LeCleach to.)

Here's the response with the crossover; basically I'm TRYING to flatten it out electrically, but failing, because the problem isn't electrical it's physical

Here's the QSC with crossover, which is much more consistent

Bottom line - my fiberglass LeCleach horn is pretty hopeless. There's a reason that people pay $500 a pair for horns from Autotech

I'll admit that the dip in the midrange from the taps is probably not the end of the world, but that polar response is un-fixable

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 4th December 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!