Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2013, 12:33 PM   #101
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

The serial cap is to reduce the peak and extend the bass and it does work. But that is for a box Q of 1.0-1.1
Old 26th December 2013, 07:32 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post
The serial cap is to reduce the peak and extend the bass and it does work. But that is for a box Q of 1.0-1.1
Ah, that makes sense. It would be hard to get the QTS that high, due to the very high BL and the relatively light cone and surround in the Summa.

For my current project, that might be worth looking into, as the specs are quite different. Here's a comparison of the woofer in the Summa versus the woofer I'm using in Monster Massive.

woofer: B&C 15TBX100 / Diyma R12
qms: 5.2 / 4.0
qes: 0.3 / 0.47
qts: 0.28 / 0.57
vas: 107.6L / 42L
fs: 35hz / 27.6hz

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 26th December 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 27th December 2013, 02:56 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Hey Patrick......ever consider 4 dome midranges for use in a synergy type system? The Dayton RS52 in quads woulds provide enough efficiency and could go as low as 500hz without strain. Just something to consider. It would be interesting to create a throat for the CD using the domes to form it.......could be similiar in function to JBL's new guides used in the M2. Being forced due to costs to work with fiberglass, epoxy and resins on my boat, ive been pretty impressed with what is possible with this stuff and some creative thinking.
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:14 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 View Post
Hey Patrick......ever consider 4 dome midranges for use in a synergy type system? The Dayton RS52 in quads woulds provide enough efficiency and could go as low as 500hz without strain. Just something to consider. It would be interesting to create a throat for the CD using the domes to form it.......could be similiar in function to JBL's new guides used in the M2. Being forced due to costs to work with fiberglass, epoxy and resins on my boat, ive been pretty impressed with what is possible with this stuff and some creative thinking.
Indeed! I have four of them here, and I gave them a try. They work well. There are only a couple of drawbacks:

1) they basically have no surround, so their excursion is virtually nil. This limits the SPL of the entire system, and also the dynamics.
2) I would personally recommend reducing the back chamber. You can do this by sawing the driver in half. (The chamber is plastic, which makes it easy to reduce.)

Once you reduce the back chamber, it increases the efficiency by narrowing the bandwidth of the driver. That helps offset the lack of SPL.

Having said all that, the ND91 has a lot in common with the RS52, but with more output:

1) The ND91 and the RS52 both have an aluminum dome that's similar in size
2) Both drivers have a copper shorting ring to reduce distortion
Old 30th January 2014, 02:24 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

The system is coming along nicely.

Click the image to open in full size.

Probably the main goal for this project is to reduce the footprint of my reference speakers. (Gedlee Summas.) In order to get some bass, I'm using multiple subs, distribute throughout the room. Here's some pics of how it's coming along. There are currently three subwoofers:

1) A Kef vented sub that's up on my Ikea shelf (up on the top right.)
2) A bandpass sonotube sub, that's over in the opposite corner.
3) Possibly the most interesting sub is a dual 8" tapped horn, loosely based on the TH-Spud and Mike's Insubnia.

The tapped horn sits on the floor, and I have my chair on top of it. So it's basically a platform that I sit on. It's hidden in the corner, and hard to see I think. Nearly all of the electronics are built into the tapped horn; this includes the miniDSP, the sub amp, and the mid and high frequency amp.
Old 30th January 2014, 02:30 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

How big is the dual 8" And how low does it go?
Old 30th January 2014, 02:40 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
How big is the dual 8" And how low does it go?
It's pretty big. About six and a half cubic feet.
It's designed to get loud, not low; I'd actually built it for my old Honda, with the intention of making a loud ol' horn for SPL type stuff. It's tuned at about 35hz, and the F3 is about the same.
But then I sold the car, so I moved the sub into my living room!

Details here: Tapped Horn for the Lazy and Impatient
Old 30th January 2014, 03:11 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

So this is the dual Type R Alpines yes?

I saw there were a few ideas you were contemplating. Also was curious how the 4.5" driver was going to play out. Maybe a dual 4.5" TH?
Old 11th February 2014, 06:50 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Ah, that makes sense. It would be hard to get the QTS that high, due to the very high BL and the relatively light cone and surround in the Summa...
Are you referring to 15TBX100 ? What is "relatively light" in B&C 15TBX100 ?

It has Mms=163gr. It has one of the heaviest moving systems i've seen in 15" pro woofer - if we count out dedicated subwoofers that can't do anything beyond 300-400Hz.
Old 11th February 2014, 07:01 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvuchniak View Post
Are you referring to 15TBX100 ? What is "relatively light" in B&C 15TBX100 ?

It has Mms=163gr. It has one of the heaviest moving systems i've seen in 15" pro woofer - if we count out dedicated subwoofers that can't do anything beyond 300-400Hz.
I mostly do car audio. In the world of car audio, a 15" with a 163gr cone is "light."
I don't have the mms spec of my TC Sounds fifteens handy, but it sure *looks* heavier than the 15TBX100. Foam surround versus accordion surround, aluminum cone versus treated paper cone. I quick look at Parts Express shows an MMS of 383g for the LMS-R 15" woofer from TC.

Hide this!Advertise here!