Dynaco and EPI Crossovers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have seen on the Human Speakers Website several schematics for the EPI 100v speaker (Schematic A and B below), and am curious as to how these differ in function. Which is preferred? Is B mixed up on the cap? It looks wrong to me?

As well, another speaker with the same tweeter is the 70, which has a single cap on the tweeter of 10uf. The schematic below is posted on the Human Website, and shows a 5ohm resistor in series with the tweeter and 10uf capacitor (Schematic C) What would this resistor do to the crossover frequency? And why does my EPI 70 speaker not have it?

And finally, on the Dynaco A25 crossover (Scematic D), this is an Lpad attenuator correct? Approximately how many DB does this attenuate the Tweeter? I believe the XO frequency of this speaker is supposed to be 1500hz. Does that XO point remain constant as I attenuate the tweeter more?

Attachments

• xomap.jpg
    xomap.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 101
I'd suggest you have a play with Visaton Boxsim here:
Downloads

Choose a driver like a W200S bass and a dome tweeter like the G20SC and see how it goes. :)

Loads of designs to test too:
2-Way Speakers

Most free running bass units sound a bit bass light to my taste, and need at least a bafflestep coil around 1mH. A simple single cap to the tweeter wires in phase IIRC. Usually you use between 2.2 uF and 4 uF.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but you will soon be asking much more complex ones as your modelling skills improve. :cool:

I am trying to combine the woofer and tweeter on these drivers. Its apparent the tweeter is much hotter than the woofer. Using 6ohm in series I managed to get them sounding a bit more level, but obviously the xo point came down. As the schematic in C shows, the tweeter has been used with a 5 ohm in series in the past and a 10uf cap. Will using 6ohm instead of 5ohm be a lot harder on the tweeter? I'm going to buy resistors to make an Lpad tomorrow... what value would my 6ohm have been comparable to? 3-4db?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.