the ideal polar response - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Banned

Default the ideal polar response

i think there was a very long thread on here about the ideal polar response of a speaker. I am not going to read all those pages but why isnt there a short answer?

What is the ideal polar response? omni? cardioid? come on there must be an answer.
Old 16th October 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Don't miss the verticals they are often hidden. I found that out the hard way.
Old 16th October 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
fpitas is offline fpitas  United States
diyAudio Member

Still stirring the pot, eh? Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 16th October 2013, 05:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilun View Post
What is the ideal polar response? omni? cardioid? come on there must be an answer.
There are as many answers, as there are "ideals" .

I prefer a polar pattern that covers the listening area in a room with as little as possible "spill" to areas other than where the listeners are.
The required polar pattern would be different for different rooms to satisfy that preference.

Others like a wide or omni pattern that reflects much of the radiated pattern off lateral walls, some others even like nearly all the radiated sound to be reflected, some even prefer a floor mounted speaker bouncing the sound off the ceiling.

Others like a narrowing pattern at high frequencies- you need to decide what is "ideal" for yourself, there is no accounting for taste .
Old 16th October 2013, 06:24 PM   #5
seanny is offline seanny  United States
diyAudio Member

You forgot 1 case...the big headphone.
Old 16th October 2013, 07:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilun View Post
why isnt there a short answer?
Because there isn't a standardized method of recording (/mixing) for stereo and a standardized room for listening in stereo. So... I guess you can return to reading the monster thread.
Old 16th October 2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltersys View Post
There are as many answers, as there are "ideals" .

I prefer a polar pattern that covers the listening area in a room with as little as possible "spill" to areas other than where the listeners are.
The required polar pattern would be different for different rooms to satisfy that preference.

Others like a wide or omni pattern that reflects much of the radiated pattern off lateral walls, some others even like nearly all the radiated sound to be reflected, some even prefer a floor mounted speaker bouncing the sound off the ceiling.

Others like a narrowing pattern at high frequencies- you need to decide what is "ideal" for yourself, there is no accounting for taste .
first of all why do you prefer as little spill as possible?
If you had a piano in your room there is plenty of spill coming off that. Different instruments have different spill levels and a loudspeaker has to produce all instruments and sounds. Therefore it must be able to produce different spills. So here is the problem. a speakers inherent polar response is fixed. But we dont want a fixed polar pattern because of the reasons I just gave. so what is the answer? Its certainly not what you claim, that it varies according to preference or room acoustics.
Old 16th October 2013, 08:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

but you don't have a piano in your room and you are doing is attempting attempting to reproduce the recorded sound of a piano (from another room) in your room with a pair of loudspeakers. The more control that you have of where your loudspeakers send their sound (directivity) the less impact that your room will have on the sound that your loudspeakers are reproducing. The less directivity you have the more the loudspeaker "spills" sound into your room where it will reflect and bounce around off of walls and furniture and all of that reflected sound is distorted sound. Does this help? Best regards Moray James.
Old 16th October 2013, 08:16 PM   #9
sreten is online now sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

One things for sure is I don't want to listen to the OP
pontificating about any answers posted in this thread.

Consistest, monotonic and suitable for purpose
is the best answer to the original question.

The analysis in post #7 is utterly inane, and just wrong.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 16th October 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 16th October 2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

One things for sure is I don't want to listen to the OP
pontificating about any answers posted in this thread.

Consistest, monotonic and suitable for purpose
is the best answer to the original question.

The analysis in post #7 is utterly inane, and just wrong.

rgds, sreten.
That seems like pontification too. I think we all think we are right. I am not entirely sure what you mean by monotonic. Can you clarify?

Rgds, Lilun

Hide this!Advertise here!