Advice on Driver Choices for 3-way, 4 woofer design (listed in thread)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh yea - there's one little mistake with the vented design. You can spot it from this page although it may be easier to see by going to the vented page by hitting the vented tab at the bottom.

You'll know you're starting to get the hang of things when you can figure out what it is. :D
I'm guessing the port diameter vs min. port diameter. I spotted that on my first go with the tool yesterday as well :)

mstang1988,
A flat frequency response in a 3-Way type speaker is not the same as modeling a flat frequency response for your subwoofer, it all depends of the target response and summation of the set of drivers at crossover frequency, in conjunction with the alignment of the speaker woofer drivers. The result of all (the system) is your starting point for your final (beginning) calibration of frequency output along the frequency spectrum. So, your playing with the woofers will give you only a overall first image of the space you will need (volume/net), type of enclosure (BR, sealed, for these drivers only), signal output (dB), BSC, possibles F3 and rolloffs together with Q... So the best alignment with your "Unibox" might not be the best alignment for your final speaker, just a game starter.

Some info re your mid choice:

The price of the Satori drivers just dropped about $100. And it failed to register for me that they also now have it available in 4 ohms which is higher in sensitivity and should work in your application I think.

Have a look at this thread at PETT - Big price drop on the SB Satori Woofer - it should help with your selection of a mid. And a number of posters there know far more than I probably ever will. Jeff B for example is the person that has written several of the programs that I have recommended to you.

Some info re your mid choice:

The price of the Satori drivers just dropped...
Nice driver. And it has the right shape of diaphragm. :)
Plus not so nice F2 (not bad) and better F3 distortion, the nasty one. Some say a must on the mid reproduction comparing with other drivers of the same category, in same link posted (and same team of engineers that developed the same "famous" top brands). Looks like the Usher 8945P was another contender...
"Low" sensitivity (88dB), but hey that's not a PA speaker or is it?! As soon as OP has a driver of election he can start modeling (SPICE) his speaker with the FRD's AND ZMA's, and start looking for the tweeter.
I would not make a lengthly list of midwoofers or midranges more than 3 different entries. It's a good thing, not looking at the price, in this one occasion OP is looking... with good results. :cool:
Have a nice one.

Attachments

• approved.png
    approved.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 62
Nice driver. And it has the right shape of diaphragm. :)
Plus not so nice F2 (not bad) and better F3 distortion, the nasty one. Some say a must on the mid reproduction comparing with other drivers of the same category, in same link posted (and same team of engineers that developed the same "famous" top brands). Looks like the Usher 8945P was another contender...
"Low" sensitivity (88dB), but hey that's not a PA speaker or is it?! As soon as OP has a driver of election he can start modeling (SPICE) his speaker with the FRD's AND ZMA's, and start looking for the tweeter.
I would not make a lengthly list of midwoofers or midranges more than 3 different entries. It's a good thing, not looking at the price, in this one occasion OP is looking... with good results. :cool:
Have a nice one.

Inductor, just dug up where you are from, wow! Looks amazing!

I lived in Baltimore. Where are you from (city?).
You have a nice project. Sometimes I'm afraid of mentioning some alternatives (drivers) because of the ""noise". But is a good thing when the OP has a good feeling what he wants, or can have...
What's your status in relation to it (likes vs. dislikes)?! What mid and tweeter are you pointing at... You will be modeling yours so no problem in dreaming at the start.
You are welcome. Keep posting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.