Enclosure for 15" Dayton Titanic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Enclosure for 15" Dayton Titanic

I would appreciate any suggestions on the optimum sub design for use in my home. I have decided to utilize the Dayton Titanic 15" driver but that is about all I have selected. I am interested in achieving first accuracy, then linearity and the lowest possible F3. I am open to just about any design model, and size....but not some 15ft tube. The sub will be used in a room that is 21ft X 22ft and a center vaulted ceiling height of about 10.5ft.

Here are the Specifications: *Power handling: 800 watts RMS/1,100 watts max *VCdia: 2-1/2" *Le: 3.84 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.68 ohms *Frequency range: 19-500 Hz *Magnet weight: 136oz. *Fs: 19.93 Hz *SPL: 91.7 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 7.79 cu. ft. *Qms: 5.89 *Qes: .41 *Qts: .38 *Xmax: 20.5 mm *Dimensions: A: 15-9/16", B: 14-1/16", C: 8-3/8".

Also I am considering using the 1000w amp that Parts Express is selling part #300-808 to power it. It claims class G circuitry. I have no experience with any such amp, can anyone give me any feedback on that?

Well, I'm bias because I built one and have been very happy with it, but I would suggest a sonotube enclosure. It's easy to make it as big as you want (if you want to go overboard you can build a "water heater" style). I have no expirience with that sub amp, sounds like a monster, it would probably work great.

Thanks kevyjo for your input. Did you use the Dayton 15? I was initially considering the tube but I am afraid I would not be able to build it long enough to provide for the 1/4 wave effects.

I see there are some exceptionally skilled and knowledgeable people here; does anyone have any other suggestions?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, I see the Qts of the Dayton is .38.

The Classic Bass Reflex is built by taking a speaker with a Qts of .38, putting it into a box equal to it's Vas, and tuning the box to the Fs of the driver.

So in this case, you want to put the Dayton 15 into a box of 8 Ft³ and tune it to 19 or 20 Hz.

Other variations will work well, but this is the basic setup.

It all depends on whether you want to build a box that big. You can build smaller ones, but the tuning will change and the F3 will go higher.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.