Enclosure for 15" Dayton Titanic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2003, 05:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Enclosure for 15" Dayton Titanic

I would appreciate any suggestions on the optimum sub design for use in my home. I have decided to utilize the Dayton Titanic 15" driver but that is about all I have selected. I am interested in achieving first accuracy, then linearity and the lowest possible F3. I am open to just about any design model, and size....but not some 15ft tube. The sub will be used in a room that is 21ft X 22ft and a center vaulted ceiling height of about 10.5ft.

Here are the Specifications: *Power handling: 800 watts RMS/1,100 watts max *VCdia: 2-1/2" *Le: 3.84 mH *Impedance: 4 ohms *Re: 3.68 ohms *Frequency range: 19-500 Hz *Magnet weight: 136oz. *Fs: 19.93 Hz *SPL: 91.7 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 7.79 cu. ft. *Qms: 5.89 *Qes: .41 *Qts: .38 *Xmax: 20.5 mm *Dimensions: A: 15-9/16", B: 14-1/16", C: 8-3/8".

Also I am considering using the 1000w amp that Parts Express is selling part #300-808 to power it. It claims class G circuitry. I have no experience with any such amp, can anyone give me any feedback on that?
Old 18th December 2003, 12:36 PM   #2
kevyjo is offline kevyjo  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I'm bias because I built one and have been very happy with it, but I would suggest a sonotube enclosure. It's easy to make it as big as you want (if you want to go overboard you can build a "water heater" style). I have no expirience with that sub amp, sounds like a monster, it would probably work great.
Old 19th December 2003, 12:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks kevyjo for your input. Did you use the Dayton 15? I was initially considering the tube but I am afraid I would not be able to build it long enough to provide for the 1/4 wave effects.

I see there are some exceptionally skilled and knowledgeable people here; does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 19th December 2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, I see the Qts of the Dayton is .38.

The Classic Bass Reflex is built by taking a speaker with a Qts of .38, putting it into a box equal to it's Vas, and tuning the box to the Fs of the driver.

So in this case, you want to put the Dayton 15 into a box of 8 Ft³ and tune it to 19 or 20 Hz.

Other variations will work well, but this is the basic setup.

It all depends on whether you want to build a box that big. You can build smaller ones, but the tuning will change and the F3 will go higher.

Hide this!Advertise here!