flush mount drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
whats the best way to flush mount drivers? i have a cheap plunge router that i could use and used to use on driver cutouts but i found the dust to be way to much so i moved onto a jig saw.

should i just buy a jasper jig and use both techniques?

also what kind of cutting bit should i use for the tang band 3" driver (to increase air flow on the backside)

I use the jasper jig with a ryobi plunge router. I put on goggles and a mask and held my breath. With the jig, the holes and rabbets are so perfect and quick it was worth the head rush.

I bought a 45 degree bit and fiddled with the depth until it looked right. I set the depth so that it cut about half-way through the 3/4" mdf, minus the rabbet depth.

I get really dusty, but I can't think of a better way to get perfect round and smooth holes then using a router.
I rout out the mounting hole first, then use a rabbiting bit to cut the groove, or cut a rabbit first with a straight cutting bit set to a partial depth and then reset to hole size and cut through (I actually leave 1/16 and then pop it out later with a rotozip or just a hammer and a touch up with file.)

Never been able to get close to as nice with a jigsaw, and if your flush mounting the hole will really show next to the smooth speaker edge.

And I'll probably get cancer, but I don't use a mask or goggles, I just kinda hold my breath.. :whazzat:

I also made my own jig from some acrylic, cost me $2, and it's infinitely adjustable.

I use an old nylon breadboard as my Jasper clone. Also use a dust extractor that goes onto the router, an el cheapo Triton system which is run by a vacuum cleaner. A$35 and works a treat.

Attachments

• trition de.jpg
    trition de.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 236
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.