Sometimes sow's ear is good enough

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been hauling the 811's and 414's around for long enough. No tools here in Thailand, so had a local shop make them with their finish. Used the same design back in USA. This time scrapped the OEM crosses and used Minidsp's minidsp/miniamp stack. One in each cab. Although perhaps world's worst room (cement and tile over cement) I get good response down to 35Hz and up to around 13Khz.
BTW the purple stuff used for horn gasket and "spikes" is backpacker foam pad. Works good for dampening too.
Final adjustment made with REW and Umik-1, using REW sig gen to manually sweep 25Hz.-600Hz. and equal level by ear.
Good enough!

Attachments

• speakers.JPG
    speakers.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 204
Thanks @ODougbo. Yeah, 150x300mm ports. I wanted ports protected to keep my cats out.
BTW 160 liter inside volume, made from mdf with moderate bracing and no dampening inside. I get nothing but bass out of the port because the horn keeps everything else going out the front. I have dampened the horn with a couple mm of automotive undercoating. This really helped.

@fpitas, hahaha, not that technical in this case. I only wanted a more narrow front. Wide speakers are an awkward fit in the last few spaces I've had available. I haven't noticed and real problems with width of dispersion. Works out nice as they are easily done with 2 sheets and bracing material to spare.

Bass is smooth and solid down to 35Hz, crossover is good now as conversations and room ambiences seem natural, soundstage has width, placement and a 3d quality, grand piano is a percussion instrument, Norah breathes in your ear, cymbals have a reasonable sizzle. I am padding the horns down 9DB which seems close. I will add some cross bracing to the brace between the woofer and the horn, as they didn't follow my drawings.
Walking around the room, there are no obvious bass nodes, or variances in treble response. Maybe a benefit of horns in a hard room? Who knows?
Just starting 2 weeks between terms. I may haul them to a friends house to get outdoor settings in store.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.