Choosing tweeters and crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have retrieved a pair of Peerless SKO165 drivers from an old, very cheap pair of JPW floorstanding speakers (we're talking very basic crossovers, thin particle board cabinets and plastic spring clip terminals), and I am interested in building these into a smaller two-way bookshelf enclosure - I know the Kef Coda speakers used the same drivers, for example.

My question is how on earth do I decide which (reasonably cheap if possible) tweeter will be appropriate to pair with these drivers? Has anyone perhaps got any suggestions? How do I choose an appropriate crossover? Again, any suggestions of pre-built units? I know a bit about electronics but all the mathematics and more advanced theory behind bespoke crossover design goes right over my head sadly :(

Thanks for anyone with enough patience to explain to me in words of one syllable!

1) You can search the net for projects using the same driver. If the project is from experienced designer, you can copy.

2) There is a situation where driver can be cheap, but to make it work we may need expensive crossover. I don't know with yours but my intuition is to go with second order electrical (L+C) plus a notch filter (RLC) for the woofer. Accompanying tweeter filter will most probably be 3rd order electrical (CLC) plus a notch filter (RLC). The tweeter's notch is the issue here. You may need it or you don't. But XT25 is a good candidate (you will need the notch filter with this tweeter, but if 1mH is expensive, may be you can omit but I wont).

3) If you want to invest extra time, download SpeakerWorkshop, search for (or create) FRD and ZMA files for the woofer, along with several candidate tweeters. With the help of some members here you can build your own speaker that will sound good enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.