how on earth to flush mount a vifa D26NC tweeter, im lost

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a) What on earth is a diffraction ring?

b) Dad is a woodwork teacher and an amatuer builder/carpenter

c) I think that i will use a 3mm piece of MDF over the top with its own cutout.

d) how do i clean up the edge of the cutout to fit the tweeter perfectly cos i know a iant that great on the jigsaw and plus hand guided tools are never as accurate as i want this to me.

I used a dremel tool with a router tip on my set (not the same tweeter, but odd shape). It came out looking like crap. Sorry this probably wasn't the best response but yeah I agree with you, hand tools isn't the way to go (maybe if you have TONS of patience.. I don't).

Pete

I'd hesitate to do something like that too which is why I suggested diffraction rings, unless you know someone with the right skill and tools. It's simply a series of rings increasing in diameter until the desired thickness is acheived. Transition from the faceplate to the baffle should be kept to 10 degrees or less. You can make them from posterboard or other similar material. I made some using felt although the thickness was not near what you're dealing with.

Attachments

• voigtw10.jpeg
    voigtw10.jpeg
    14.8 KB · Views: 305
I'd say a scroll saw to make the initial cut with a couple of make shift fences for the straight sections, followed with a router to cut out the section to make it mount flush. Other then that a curved chisel and patience. I do mortises by hand occasionally, it's not that hard. Just make sure you have a very sharp good chisel, not a $2.99 walmart special.

Forgot...

That the dome will likely stick up above the faceplate. This would present a problem! Another technique would be to use the circular base of the router to cut a larger template. You could use a 1/2" straight cutter, and then trace the big frame using the template and the base with a 1/4" cutter. This way you trace the edge of the tweet and don't have the router going over top...

Brendon

Make a jig from 6mm MDF (screwed or clamped to the box) and use a template attachment on a router. The jig outline in my case was 8mm oversize for a 22mm attachment and 6mm bit (22/2 - 6/2). See the pic with the jig, attachment and test cut.

Attachments

• d26 rebate.jpg
    d26 rebate.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 237
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.