help with Hypex HS200 and new sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2003, 02:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help with Hypex HS200 and new sub

I turned on the power and nothing... there is no sound coming from my new subwoofer.

Here are the details... this is a used Hypex HS200 and a new 12" Soniccraft SCC300 driver that I bought from reliable sources... so I expect are functional. I'm connecting the subwoofer to my 2-channel stereo consisting of:
* BentAudio TX102 pre-amp
* AKSA 100W mono-blocks
* Ellis 1801 satellites

I bought a 12' subwoofer cable and y-adapter from RS. I have the Y-adapter connected to the R-channel output from my pre-amp. One leg goes to the IC to my amplifier. The other leg goes to the subwoofer input.

I'm going to try to use the high-pass crossover, connecting directly from pre-amp to sub-in and sub-out to my satellite amps. Is this correct?

What are the high-power in connectors? They look like speaker binding posts.

I wish I had the manual. I appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Al
Old 17th December 2003, 03:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think I have a defective amp. I just tried going directly from pre-amp to sub in and sub-out to amps. No sound.

Al
Old 17th December 2003, 06:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Actually, I think the amp is fine. I just don't have the instruction manual. Anyone know where the fuse is?

I think I solder the driver incorrectly to the HS200. Does anyone have a diagram or instructions for soldering a driver to a HS200?

Thanks,

Al
Old 17th December 2003, 07:35 AM   #4
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Default HS 200

Hi,
I do have the HS 200 plate amp running in my ALUMASUB for a couple years now. As far as I remember the sub isn't soldered to the amp but rather screwed/connected to two small clamps on the PCB. Those are almost hard to detect and are not comparable to speaker binding posts or something like that, I used solid core copper cable of 1,5mm (don't know the equivalent in AWG).
To check the amp you can also run regular speaker cables from your amp to the highpower IN (what looks líke binding posts on the plate amp).

BTW, how to do you like that Bent Audio passive pre?

Good luck,
Oliver
Old 17th December 2003, 05:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice. I was trying the wrong PCB.

I love my BentAudio pre-amp. Very natural sounding with deep/wide soundstage and surprisingly deep/extended/tight bass. It bested several expensive solid state preamps and tube preamps that I tried.

I wish I could have auditioned the AKSA GK1. But my wife really liked the ease of using the BentAudio... there's no warm up time, worrying about turning off the amps first, etc. So, it's easier for the entire family to use.

I can't wait to get this sub built. Then, I'll really be happy with my 2.1 home theater system.

Regards,

Al
Old 17th December 2003, 11:39 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

All done. I got the schematic from Hypex's tech support, very responsive, and found out where the driver wires are supposed to be mounted. After that, the subwoofer worked. Now, I just have to fine tune it.

Thanks,

Al
Old 18th December 2003, 07:27 AM   #7
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

Default sub working.....

Great,

have fun tuning your sub!
Thanks also for your impressions on the bentaudio pre, this is a very likely upgrade in my system next year (will be replacing a Pass Labs X2).

Regards,
Oliver

...I love the Great Northwest...spent two wonderful years in Portland, OR!
Old 18th December 2003, 04:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It is a great place to live. However, my wife and I would love to live in Europe for a few years. We'll have to think about how to make it work with our house and our girls' schooling.

Happy Holidays!

Al

Hide this!Advertise here!